tea in a necropolis


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
March 19th 2006
Published: March 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, our first full day in Egypt we met up with a friendly edmontonian and went walking in Islamic Cairo. As the guide book says, Islamic Cairo isn't anymore Islamic than the rest of Cairo except of course, coptic cairo.

We visited old mosques (here women are aloud into some mosques) gateways, markets, toilets and of course restraunts (coffee houses). One of the incredibe things about Cairo is that it is safe I hope I haven't jinxed myself, but we walk a night, go to the bank, ride the subway and just generally forget we are on the same coninent as Africa. Infact I can say that it feels safer here than my 'hood in Vancouver. People are incredibly nice and welcoming, particularly the vendors and young men ;-) I've been groped a few times in a crowed market, but at least it wasn't blatant like in Malawi.

In the late afternoon we walked out to the 'city of the dead', I was expecting people living in and around tombstones. Instead we found huge house like structures with tombstones inside them and people living there like a village. Apparently, they have been living there since the 14th century.
There
orange juiceorange juiceorange juice

old cairo
was a coffee shop where we had tea and 7up, so yes, I had tea in a necropolis.

Last night we wandered until we found the movie theater, we watched 'lord of war' with nic cage with arabic subtitles. There is a 24 hour falafel joint next to our hostel that charges 60 pt (part of one egyptian pound) for a falafel sandwich. Its hard to beat that.

Today we got up early and headed out to old Cairo to visit the enclosed area of Coptic Cairo. I'm not going to lie, I don't know alot about the copts, but I know that they are greatly out numbered by the muslims.
One of the reason we headed off so early was that I wanted to catch the coptic mass at the hanging church. The church is not suspended or anything, I believe it was built over a water cistern. The mass was incredible, half of it was sung in liturgical chant in arabic and latin and the other half was what I thought was the scripture. The church itself is hard to describe, lets go with ornate, old and stunning. The service was pepered by arrial of tourists (in hordes) with their flash cameras and silly poses.
The fellow incharge, priest?, started off in a black gown with a tall back hat with a shawl and later traded in those clothes for a purple and pearl rob and a crown. I thought he looked like a kingand he was very welcoming , he motioned for the tourists to enter the church and to stay for a while. Even the camera toting, tour bus groupies.

After lunch today we are heading out to the museum of islamic art, and possibly a book market. tomorrow, hopefully, the giza pyramids and saqqara.

Cairo seems to be a place where you can just relax. I have spent a few nice evenings just sitting in an ahwa (street cafe) watching paul smoke a sheesha and drinking egyptian tea. Everyone just sits around and chats after work, maybe sharing some food and a game of backgammon.

Yesterday we headed off to the pyramids. We opted not to go with an organized tour, but instead to hop the metro to giza city (suburb of Cairo) and to catch a cab from there. It worked out to be excatly half of what our hotel was trying to arrange for us.
First we wentto Saqqara to see the step pyramid, one of the oldest pyramids inthe world.

One thing I should also mention is Africa's obbession with Enrique Iglasis. We have been subjected to his most popular cd's ever since we arrive in Africa. The night we spent at the Zambezi river... we listened to him nonstop for 8 hours. Every bus ride, every boat ride, every train ride anything that has speakers will play enrique for hours. No one sings long, no one even seems to notice. Recently, Our cabbie here in Cairo turned on Enrique full blast as we drove to the pyramids. I kindly asked Ahmed to turn it down and maybe if he coud play some egyptian music.

Our taxidriver (ahmed Mustafa) let us out and we explored the outside ofthe buildings for aobut 3 hours. We were not overtly impressed with the pyramid as we couldn't go inside, but as we walked around the complex we noticed some ruins and explored them, we found hierogylphs and tombs and best of all english speaking tours that we listened in on. In the distance we could see the bent pyramid and a few others. Sorry everyone, I haven't done much in the way of research on these things.
Next our taxi driver drove us no more than 250 meters to the next site (I didn't even know it was included in the entrance price) where we climbed down into the depts of a small pyramid and toured some tombs. The heirogyphs we astounding. Some of them are in ruin and some have been restored and many are the original colour and original carvings. Some of the guards explain what they mean and indicate you could take a picture if you give him a tip. We know that taking pictures of the heirogylphs damage them over time, so we declined in all the tombs that had a sign saying that we shouldn't take pictures.

After we finnished at this site we headed off to Giza. We had become parched and desperatly wanted some orange juice. (Cairo has fruit juice stands where the man cuts up 6 oranges and squeezes them into a stein shaped glass for very very cheap) Unfortuanty Ahmed only knows numbers and destinations in english, he took us to a fruit stand to buy some oranges. We declined, so he took us to a carpet store to visit his friend and to buy some carpets made by children in the back room. Again, we declined. Then we went to a papyeras store to buy some ancient egyptian banana leave paper, declined. Finally I told him I was hungery and he took us to a five star hotel buffet, which we decined. Finally I told him I wanted to eat fuul and falafel and he smiled. Off to his brothers shop to eat fuul. It cost us nearly 3 times as much than if we bought itin downtown cairo, but still it came to less than 1 dollar.

At Giza pyramids Ahmed quit being our driver and told us to give him 10 egyptain pounds less and we could take a different taxi when we got finnished here. the pyramids are absolutly huge the sphinx ,however, is not. We walked onto the site, polietly telling the camel renters and horse renters to bugger off, and walked up to the big one. Khafre.
There isn't much to say except that he had three wives and their pyramids were free to enter and had heirogyphs. Khare's pyramid was
paul and his sheeshapaul and his sheeshapaul and his sheesha

at our favorite street Ahwa
100 E pounds extra to entre. We declined.

We did entre into the 2nd pyramid, I can't recall his name at the moment, for 10 e pounds. I regreted it immediatly. We entred into a dark tunnel about 3.5 feet high and climbed town a steep slope for about 50 . Then we walked straight for about 20 m in a room that was about 6 feet high and then we walked up a steep incline in a tunnel that was 3 feet high. this led us to a chamber with a tomb in it. It had very little, if any, heiroglyphs and the tempture was about 15 degrees c. higher inside the pyramid than outside. With all the heavy breathing and all the sweaty tourists the pyramid smelled like a dirty sock.
The free smaller pyramids are worth it, however this overdone big pyramid was not.

On another note we saw quite a few tourists yesterday. Many of the women were wearing short shorts (just covering their bum cheeks) short skirts, bare midrifts and spagetti strap clevage tops. Maybe I'm a little sensitive, but it is a muslim country, and most of the women here wear head
elevatorelevatorelevator

in our hotel
scarfs to cover their hair. They don't show their shoulders and I have yet to see an egyptian woman wearing a short skirt. There is no dress code at the pyramids but I could see on the faces of some of the employees and some of the locals who had visted the pyramids that tourists clothing was less than appropriate.
ANYWAY....

We caught a taxi back to the metro and went back to the hotel to change and get ready for a few nice hours spent at an Ahwa.
Today, off to Alexandria.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

coptic masscoptic mass
coptic mass

in the hanging church
minaretminaret
minaret

on a mosque
garlicgarlic
garlic

this ones for you Dad, it was about 5 feet high and 8 feet long


21st March 2006

Sphnix
Hurray a picture of the Sphnix. I think I've been fascinated by the Sphnix since junior high school. It does look like the nose is missing? British target practice perhaps? I really enjoyerd the other photos as well makes me want to hop on a tramp steamer and visit Cairo a la Humphrey Bogart. (I think Casa Blanca was Morocco but close enough). Is it my imagination or does every place have very interesting locals. Bona Fortuna
21st March 2006

What is Sheesha? This is fantastic! Thanks for all the pics. I am very proud of you for being sensitive to the culture and your modest dress. It looks like it is very hot there so I can see the temptation to wear as little as possible but we know that covering up from the sun keeps you cooler than dressing down. Sounds like your taxi driver had as good a time as you two did. Cairo is not renown for being the safest city but after the places you have been, I can see why it feels like it is, but don't let your guard down yet. Love you and miss you. Mom
21st March 2006

Cairo
I heard in the news that bird flu (the worst kind) is very active in Cairo. So watch out for flying chickens! The coptic church sounds neat. Save me a Necropolictic tea bag...I don't care if it's used. Have fun. Me
22nd March 2006

I love those pictures that you started to add into your journals, it is just amazing to think that humans could have lived there so many years ago. It is so dry and desolate looking.
22nd March 2006

awesome
Lucienne.... I've got to go to Cairo. This sounds amazing... and I could use some falafel right about now. All the best, keep living it up!
24th March 2006

cool
wow. You sound like your having aslot of fun. Its pretty nice here the languadge barrer is quite frustrating at times and things seem to be settling down this week. I cant belive im going to be here for two month it seems so long and so short at the same time. I think i will come back bi laungual which is excaitng, but it think touring around afrrica would be awsome too! well all the best. I lov ethe pictures.
25th March 2006

Congrats
Just to let you both know I am very proud of the way that you have been able to get through all the rough times, you deserve to really enjoy yourselves now. I am SO relieved that you are in Egypt. I love your pictures. Have fun and take care of yourselves. love Mom
27th March 2006

I'm Speechless
Lucienne, I'm speechless, which is to say for me, somewhat without words. I am in awe of the pics you've taken and posted, I can't think of what to say, except I would love to be looking through your eyes when you took them. Everything just screams history, yet it's SO alive! Your descriptions of where you've been, what you saw and felt, just enthrall me. I am constantly amazed by this Grand Adventure of yours, and so thrilled to have you share it all with us back home. You are very perceptive, Lucienne, to the cultures, people, places, and sensations around you. Perhaps this is what has kept you safe so far? Keep perceiving! ....................love always, Mamie

Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 70; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb