Background: Venezuela was one of three countries that emerged from the collapse of Gran Colombia in 1830 (the others being Colombia and Ecuador). For most of the first half of the 20th century, Venezuela was ruled by generally benevolent military strongmen, who promoted the oil industry and allowed for some social reforms. Democratically elected governments have held sway since 1959. Current concerns include: an embattled president, a divided military, drug-related conflicts along the Colombian border, increasing internal drug consumption, overdependence on the petroleum industry with its price fluctuations, and irresponsible mining operations that are endangering the rain forest and indigenous peoples.
Photos from Venezuela
Blogs from Venezuela
Latest Blogs from Venezuela
- January 21st 2014 Here and there in Venezuela and beyond...
by Words: 1422 Photos: 28
- December 19th 2013 Frank's taking advantage of the economic crisis in Venezuela in San Cristobal, Táchira
by Words: 2505 Photos: 82
- October 7th 2013 Back to blogging...life in Caracas
by Words: 1017 Photos: 0
- July 16th 2013 Venezuela - a short introduction to Socialism...
by Words: 2486 Photos: 8
- April 17th 2013 Aruba, Dutch Antilles
by Words: 190 Photos: 2
- April 16th 2013 Curacao, Dutch Antilles
by Words: 218 Photos: 0
- April 15th 2013 Bonaire, Dutch Antilles
by Words: 121 Photos: 4
- April 3rd 2013 Day 1 In Washington D.C.
by Words: 379 Photos: 0
- February 25th 2013 Panama City to San Antonio de Tachira, Venezuela - January 31 to February 25, 2013
by Words: 1527 Photos: 40
- February 18th 2013 Relaxing on Margarita Island
by Words: 354 Photos: 36
- February 2nd 2013 Venezuelan Safari
by Words: 533 Photos: 4
- January 27th 2013 Merida
by Words: 378 Photos: 4
- January 24th 2013 The haves and have nots, Caracus, Venezuela.
by Words: 500 Photos: 4
- January 7th 2013 Going Crackers in Caracas
by Words: 3722 Photos: 24
- January 1st 2013 Venezuela
by Words: 2965 Photos: 25
- December 22nd 2012 Venezuela, all of it!
by Words: 2008 Photos: 9
- December 18th 2012 Venezuela 9-1999
by Words: 30 Photos: 4
- December 3rd 2012 Angel Falls for Thanksgiving
by Words: 858 Photos: 55
- November 13th 2012 Proud to Be An American
by Words: 211 Photos: 10
- November 3rd 2012 Halloween
by Words: 564 Photos: 19