Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Ucayali
Blogs from Ucayali
Latest Blogs from Ucayali
- August 24th 2013 Taking the boat from Pucallpa to Iquitos!
by Words: 1627 Photos: 0
- July 28th 2013 Le trajet vers la jungle
by Words: 632 Photos: 50
- June 16th 2013 Feeling the love!!!
by Words: 435 Photos: 2
- January 11th 2012 11-01-2012
by Words: 1042 Photos: 0
- October 9th 2011 Secluded Tranquility on Laguna Yarinacocha
by Words: 2224 Photos: 11
- January 12th 2011 Shipibo Language
by Words: 1418 Photos: 0
- November 13th 2010 Want to know what logging in the Amazon is really like?
by Words: 505 Photos: 0
- November 13th 2010 Good things happen when you go looking for Mangoes: Back in Pucallpa
by Words: 610 Photos: 0
- October 17th 2010 Life in the Woods, Peruvian Style! Part 5
by Words: 2331 Photos: 0
- October 12th 2010 Life in the Woods, Peruvian Style! Part 1
by Words: 823 Photos: 0
- October 3rd 2010 Some Pictures from Pucallpa 1
by Words: 3 Photos: 7
- September 27th 2010 Day one in Pucallpa!
by Words: 1009 Photos: 0
- August 4th 2010 Infectology Test... Houston we´ve got a problem!
by Words: 59 Photos: 1
- July 25th 2010 Pucallpa
by Words: 309 Photos: 70
- June 11th 2010 From Pucallpa to Iquitos by boat
by Words: 3262 Photos: 19
- June 4th 2010 From La Merced to Pucallpa - The road less traveled
by Words: 1633 Photos: 9
- May 1st 2010 Jungle towns
by Words: 676 Photos: 11
- December 19th 2009 Pucallpa
by Words: 64 Photos: 0
- January 19th 2009 A Separate Reality
by Words: 2974 Photos: 12
- January 16th 2009 Some Pics from Pucallpa
by Words: 16 Photos: 0