The start of something special....


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
January 2nd 2009
Published: January 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sorry its been a while coming but here we go....

The flight to Sao Paulo was 12hours but all went smoothly, we arrived early morning and made our way into town on the bus...yes, we mastered the public transport system of Brazil with no understanding of portugese!!
We found a place to stay... not the cheapest but we decided to go in a safe area because we were told there are quite a few dodgy places! It was a sunday when we arrived so seemed to be quiet, in the afternoon we made are way in to the centre (downtown) on the tube which is very clean and on time! In the downtown area we explored the cathedral - very gothic and grand! We wandered about a bit more but didnt find too much (the map we had was rubbish and the sign posting was awful!) apart from lots of tramps and falling down buildings, it was a bit intimidating on the first day (yes, i am a wimp!) so we decided to go back to our hotel area and explore some more! It was like a different city;it was green, with trees lining the grand houses. we found somewhere to eat about 7 it was still light and warm 27C . Brazilians like the lights... it was mental and it had all of a sudden become really busy, after a few hours we we getting tired to went back! An interesting day and surreal that we were actully in Brazil!!

We had decided to go back into downtown the next day after a bit more research!! We got on the tube again and got off at the next stop... this was better it seemed more friendly and nicer. We had a good look round downtown and the local were friendly helping us out when we were lost (all the time) We went up a 35 story building which was free to get amazing views of the city - It is a huge concrete mass in all directions ... the only green on mountains about 40k away!! While getting lost we stumbled across a market street, this was mental busy and very dodgy. Every stall under the sun was flung out onto the road. They were selling everything all fake of course, there were a lot of police everywhere but they didn't seem to be bothered. It was about 2pm now and it was bright sunshine 33C bit hot to be in busy city so on the map we noticed a huge park not too far away. The park was lovely very relaxing and massive! about 5ish we decided to make our way back - the sky was getting darker but the locals didnt seem to think anything of it! Then it started raining (it was bloody 34C a few hours ago) really raining we dived for cover under big trees - a good move to start of with then the thunder and lightening came and heavier rain... we were getting wet! Ihad a water proof poncho (which George had taken the piss out of when i packed it) i had to eat my words as it was a lifesaver for her and our bags - i just get wet!! It lasted for about 30mins then sun came out back to 30C and all dried in 10mins!

Our flight to Peru was early the next morning we had to be at the airport at 5am... yawn! there were no buses that early and its about 30k so taxi quite expensive so we decided to go hardcore and stay at the
airport that night. we arrived there about 10.30pm and had hardly any sleep... oh well another 5hour flight that went smoothly again we arrived a 9.30am (another 3hours behind so now 5hours behind) In Lima Jon picked us up. He has helped us organise our south america part! We are in Lima for 4 days until the 3rd then we start our trek round Peru ect!

Lima is a poor city but has some nice areas, there is a lot of building going on it was nice to have a local to give use guided tours and things! We have explored the are where Jon lives it is a posh area near the beach although the beach is all stones and not the nicest there are lovely beaches further south. Yesterday we went into the centre and it seems a very up and coming city as there is a lot of work being done to improve everything!

New Years eve was extreme fun ... we went to the a traditional Peru new year party at a place call Del Carajo (which literally means The Shit), it was very funny on the way in we all were given silly yellow hats, glow stick glasses and yellow paper bits to throw around! There were live salsa bands and dancers doing random stuff everyone was going for it (they are quite nutty) We did get up and dance when it was a free-for-all! We were all sweaty by the end of the night and a little bit worse for wear... Well me and Jon were, George was fine!!!! We had a chilled new years day having a wander about Miraflores and having waffles at a beach side cafe before headin back and watching a dvd.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb