Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Lima
Blogs from Lima
Latest Blogs from Lima
- November 22nd 2013 (2) Jungle City South America
by Words: 494 Photos: 3
- November 22nd 2013 lemonade in Lima?
by Words: 523 Photos: 6
- November 17th 2013 Some time on my own :-D
by Words: 2476 Photos: 6
- November 11th 2013 LIMA, PERU DAY 3
by Words: 639 Photos: 15
- November 10th 2013 LIMA PERU - DAY 2
by Words: 736 Photos: 14
- November 8th 2013 Ceviche in Peru
by Words: 522 Photos: 0
- September 27th 2013 Week in Lima
by Words: 1604 Photos: 9
- September 18th 2013 The Journey Was Worth It
by Words: 1206 Photos: 2
- September 14th 2013 Free day in Lima = Unexpected Results!
by Words: 1566 Photos: 20
- September 13th 2013 Seattle to Houston to Lima...in just 20 short hours!
by Words: 314 Photos: 4
- September 3rd 2013 Update 9
by Words: 247 Photos: 0
- August 22nd 2013 leaving Lima by train!
by Words: 638 Photos: 0
- August 16th 2013 Gorgeous food, shame about the view!
by Words: 439 Photos: 6
- August 15th 2013 From St Martin Sint Maarten to Callao Peru through the Panama Channel
by Words: 271 Photos: 0
- August 12th 2013 11th of August Continued
by Words: 318 Photos: 5
- August 12th 2013 Peru 2013
by Words: 595 Photos: 8
- August 9th 2013 Lima, last stop.
by Words: 276 Photos: 21
- July 29th 2013 The Great White Fog, o/w known as Lima!
by Words: 870 Photos: 0
- July 27th 2013 Here.
by Words: 405 Photos: 0
- July 25th 2013 Rumi, Lisa and Ron in South America!!
by Words: 358 Photos: 0