The last few days in Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
January 23rd 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The last few weeks in Peru were a blur…we spent most of them running around trying to fit in as much as we could as possible.

First up we visited Huanca Pullcana a site in the middle of Miraflores where archaeologists have discovered a sacred pyramid built during the 4th Century. It’s crazy coz you have this massive pyramid and in the background all the city buildings! Basically, 50 years ago it was this massive rubble of dirt and kids would go there with their dirt bikes and play on this field until the owners of the land finally sold it 20 years ago to the government. It was then that archaeologists started to uncover this sacred pyramid, later finding mummies, gold and all….crazy crazy…the history that Peru has! You can just imagine how much is still hidden/or destroyed with the construction of the entire city!!!

From there we headed off to the Cathedral of Lima. We had a man who offered to be our guide and geez he was good!! Never thought I’d learn so much in such little time!! Basically this cathedral was built in 1555 but since Lima is known for its earthquakes, parts of the cathedral have had to been reconstructed twice but it’s original structure still remains. Inside we also saw the remains of Francisco Pizarro (well the box where his head originally lay before it was decomposed by the humidity!). Very interesting…and if you’re wondering why we are both staring at a white wall in the bottom section of the cathedral it’s because it was in only 1977 that Francisco Pizarro’s remains (his body) was found hidden behind that wall…supposedly secretly placed there by his ex lover who never wanted them to be found….!

After Strolling around Lima Rose finally got her dream of riding around on a horse and carriage…could we have looked like any more of a tourists??!! It was a lot of fun though!!

And that’s about it….a lot of the last week was also spent spending time with the family and seeing as much of Peru as we could! And we did pretty damn well!! Cant believe how quick time had gone and that so soon we’re going to be off to Uruguay….People’s Peru is definitely a place you hafta come and visit at one point in your life if not twice….we’re already organising our return trip!!!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



6th February 2008

the pic that makes u look like zoolander
Hey Ros n yannki how are u guys going haha read d blog man got to say it gave me goosssbumppsss i wanna go back now! oh and that pic with u looking like the guy from zoolander, is gold! be safe and take care keep d blogs coming and pic god bless ciaooo!!ps LA CITS?

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb