Hogar de San Francis de Asis


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
March 22nd 2007
Published: March 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hogar de San Francis de Asis

 South America » Peru » Lima By downwithd
March 22nd 2007
Down with Dysentery



Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The HouseThe House
The House

We spent the week at this house where Dr. Tony Lazarro takes care of children with severe medical problems at no charge. All of the kids live here until they get better (or not). The most beautiful part of this is that Tony makes sure they all receive an education.
The Love of My LifeThe Love of My Life
The Love of My Life

This is Alfredo, and I just fell in love with him. He has a thyroid problem, is 8 months old and is maybe the size of a 1-month-old. He looked up at me and made my heart melt, and I found it very hard to leave him.
The Love of Moria's LifeThe Love of Moria's Life
The Love of Moria's Life

This is Nigelli, and Moria loved her because she was a loner. She wanted nothing to do with the other kids and just cried for her Mami all day. Moria said it reminded her of her days in daycare.
VictorVictor
Victor

Victor is the star of the show with a torso and one leg. He is so much fun and so much trouble.
AxelAxel
Axel

Axel is one of those kids that is so cute and bad at the same time that you don't know how to punish him because all you want to do is hug him.
Ladi and LibresLadi and Libres
Ladi and Libres

Ladi is a 17 year old burn victim and is so sweet that we gave her all our clothes. Libres is 12 with TB and can make a mean string bracelet.
Brian AnthonyBrian Anthony
Brian Anthony

He is three and is convinced he is one. Got there the day before we did and speaks absolute nonsense.
AngelaAngela
Angela

Again, gorgeous but a crier and all I wanted to do was hold her. She is 4 and so much fun. She is missing her right foot and some fingers and can hop like no other.
Jocelyn and OlgaJocelyn and Olga
Jocelyn and Olga

Jocelyn and Olga are 8 and best friends. This is the Peruvian uniform. Jocelyn has TB, and Olga just got her leg extender removed.
RutRut
Rut

This girl is in junior high, obsessed with fashion and has cancer. She was a pretty cool gal.
JuliaJulia
Julia

Quite possibly my favorite little one. She is 5 and has lukemia and the best laugh in the entire world. Last night I had to hold her because she was sobbing with fear about going to the hospital. It was really hard for me to see someone who just exudes joy so sad, and she made me cry.
Martin, Antonio, Pamela and OlgaMartin, Antonio, Pamela and Olga
Martin, Antonio, Pamela and Olga

The kids were obsessed with the camera and most of these are taken by them.
LibresLibres
Libres

She made me rather upset when she told me that she had no family at all. No aunts, uncles, cousins, no one. Again, it was difficult to hear.
Nestor and AnitaNestor and Anita
Nestor and Anita

Nestor is a former patient and he takes care of all the children's trips to the hospital. He is a very nice guy and became a burn victim by saving his sister from a fire. Anita needs a leg extender right now and is 28, just learning to read. She also can crochet a purse in less than an hour.
Moria and MitchiMoria and Mitchi
Moria and Mitchi

Mitchi is 10, has cerebral palsy and is quite a handful. He even whistled at Moria.
Angela and Julia playingAngela and Julia playing
Angela and Julia playing

There is a small garden in the back and the kids love to play in it.
ConcepcionConcepcion
Concepcion

He is the best jacks player in the house and 15. He has a growth disorder.
Jose LuisJose Luis
Jose Luis

He had tumors grow on his corneas and now is blind. He is able to see shadows, and the best pictures were taken by him.
Brian Anthony AgainBrian Anthony Again
Brian Anthony Again

Spent a lot of time with him. In the beginning everyone thought his name was Brian, only to find out that he goes by Anthony. He has the best cheeks and hips displesia, which makes him unable to walk.
DenisDenis
Denis

I had a crush on him because he was so good with the children and was a great artist.
RonaldoRonaldo
Ronaldo

Trouble with a capital T. He is fun though and has a great grip. Ronaldo was the first child to grab onto me at the house, and I was afraid I would never get him off.


23rd March 2007

Blogs
Kae and Moria this was the best blog so far, a picture is worth a thousand words. I am proud of both of you for doing this and not spending the end of your days on some beach.
24th March 2007

This experience should teach you how much we are loved, blessed, pampered and wasteful. Much to learn; much to share. Love, Mom
30th March 2007

i am crying
You are both good girls. What you did was wonderful. I am signing up to volunteer RIGHT NOW!!!!! I am inspired. Beautiful pics. Get these in a book!!!!! C'mon, you know Tucker Max!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb