Hogar de San Francis de Asis


Advertisement
South America » Peru » Lima
March 22nd 2007
Published: March 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hogar de San Francis de Asis South America » Peru » Lima By downwithdMarch 22nd 2007Down with Dysentery ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

ClaraClara
Clara

She is just one and smiles constantly. She has a cleft palette that just reopened.
Alfredo, Jocelyn and CarmenAlfredo, Jocelyn and Carmen
Alfredo, Jocelyn and Carmen

All hanging out and loving the camera.
Dinner at the HogarDinner at the Hogar
Dinner at the Hogar

Dr. Tony is amazing. He eats breakfast and lunch with the kids and has dinner with the volunteers. Never has a minute to himself.
The volunteers with the babiesThe volunteers with the babies
The volunteers with the babies

The babies get to play for 2 hours everyday, and that was usually my most favorite because it involved the least running around. Who knew 60 kids were so hard to manage?
Lucita and the toothbrushesLucita and the toothbrushes
Lucita and the toothbrushes

The children have to brush their teeth after every meal, and they do it willingly.
Axel brushingAxel brushing
Axel brushing

He loved it. Couldn't stop him. It would actually turn into an argument about it.
Julia pushing MartinJulia pushing Martin
Julia pushing Martin

We also got to play at the park every day for an hour and a half. These children may be sick, but they have heaps and heaps and heaps of energy. We could barely keep up on the first day.
The crew at the parkThe crew at the park
The crew at the park

The park was small with an old slide and rickety swings, and the children loved it so much. We could not get them to leave.
Dr. Tony after the feedDr. Tony after the feed
Dr. Tony after the feed

He posed for a photo by Jorge. Those children are blessed to have him in their lives.
JorgeJorge
Jorge

He just has problems with his lower extremities and has minimal usage of his facial muscles. That does not prevent him from working the volunteers for his needs. It works.
Nestor and JorgeNestor and Jorge
Nestor and Jorge

Really loved these guys. They both have a great sense of humor.
Victor eatingVictor eating
Victor eating

I had to show this because he can do so many amazing things with just one foot. He eats, drinks, writes and even brushes his teeth with it. He also gives a mean raspberry.
Flur and SandyFlur and Sandy
Flur and Sandy

The girls went crazy with the camera, and I would feel bad leaving them out. Flur is lovely and a burn victim, and Sandy had TB of the hip and just left the house. It is really sad because now she won't get what she needs. She left because she missed her family, and I can not imagine being separated from them all the time. It is understandable... I just hope she gets better.
CarmenCarmen
Carmen

She loves Brian Anthony as well and calls him her gordita. Carmen had a stroke and now has terrible nerve problems.
Alfredo and WasonAlfredo and Wason
Alfredo and Wason

The big kids of the place; they help keep everything clean. They have to sweep and clean after every meal and do a house cleaning every morning. These children do more chores (and homework) than I ever did.
Martin, Mitchi and JuliaMartin, Mitchi and Julia
Martin, Mitchi and Julia

The children all love the wheelchairs. Could not get enough of it. Martin would walk the entire length of the park with it.
MartinMartin
Martin

This may be the cutest kid at the joint. He is 3, has hip displesia and waddles around. Martin should be a child model because he is just too cute.
The children discovered I was ticklishThe children discovered I was ticklish
The children discovered I was ticklish

This was my downfall. Once they learned my weakness, they got me and got me good. They got me so badly that I could not breathe a lot of the time.
MitchiMitchi
Mitchi

He is quite a ham. Loves to swim and play and has the runniest nose in the world.
Mallco and MeMallco and Me
Mallco and Me

He was adorable. Could crawl faster than anyone I know. He was also very easy to put down for a nap.
JhonJhon
Jhon

Moria loved Jhon, and Jhon loved Moria. He tried to get her to play Spin the Bottle. He is a hemopheliac, and we had to regulate on some of the kids who would like to bite and hit him (i.e. Axel and Victor).



23rd March 2007

Blogs
Kae and Moria this was the best blog so far, a picture is worth a thousand words. I am proud of both of you for doing this and not spending the end of your days on some beach.
24th March 2007

This experience should teach you how much we are loved, blessed, pampered and wasteful. Much to learn; much to share. Love, Mom
30th March 2007

i am crying
You are both good girls. What you did was wonderful. I am signing up to volunteer RIGHT NOW!!!!! I am inspired. Beautiful pics. Get these in a book!!!!! C'mon, you know Tucker Max!

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb