Turn left


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
March 9th 2005
Published: March 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sun came out again this morning so i knew it would be a good day...

morning came early and we were off to the flight. before leaving for the airport to see the nasca lines, danny - el italiano and i had a little early morning breakfast... so, tony, do you have your name on you cloaths so people will know wo you are if the plane crashes, asked danny - after the fun and games, i took a picture of tony and danny and showed it to tony along with ´if your picture comes out, you will survive the day´ - sure enough, he was in the picture, his nerves calmed a little, and we heded off to the airport.

as fortune would have it, Antonio was able to sit in the copilot seat int the five passenger single engine cesna. as the ground assistant handed out clear plastic bags to each of us, the pilot added they only hold a litre, so if you ate a big breakfast, take two...

fastening a seatbelt on a plane is akin to putting on an oxygen mask at 40,000 ft. at decompression - useless. so, we took off with everyone except the pilot and i, attached to the plane. tony looked anxiously around, much like a cat in a glas box, trying to find his way out - or somewhere. as the nose lifted, we cleared the ground, and climbed to 1500ft, tony relaxed, looked back at me with a HUGE smile and gave me a thumbs-up.

the lines were very much like they look on tv - just different because i was there and my magnesium encased camera was busy with B&w film, while the leica shot digital shots - the conodr, monkey, space man, humming bird and other assorted shapes were clearly visible. after some 35 minutes, the runway, ground, engines off - tony asked for a picture with the pilot to show everyone he had been there...

upon returning to the old gold hostel, the hammock hanging from the patio drew me near, laying down, looking at the trees, blue sky and feeling the warm breeze, a variety of profound philosphical questions demanding immediate resolution came to me...

what is the proper way to lay in a hamock was the first. after moving around for a while, i must have found the right way because i feel into a soft and gentle slumber to awaken some thrity minutes later to continue seeking a higher truth...

question one was not completely answered because i found other ways of sleepign in that hamock this afternoon - the answer was actually a more of a catharsis - one must spenmd time in a hamock in order to know how it works - it does not matter why or exacly the right possition . the point is it does work, and it is great - particularly in nasca

second revelation - ¿why does the cock crow and what does it say? at 5:54 the cock did his thing, i looked at the time and went back to sleep. while i was slumbering in the hamock later in the day, a battery of an estimated six cocks started to crow - i wondered why they were doing this, the answer was clear - because that is what they do, and they can do it whenever they want - with or without my permission. the higher revelation was contained in the song and conversation i was able to discipher while on that hamock of truth -

the first cock would say, i am the cock of the block
the second would say, cock of the block am i
the third would say, you are not the cock of the block,
then i fell asleep again and upon awakening was satisfied with my higher state of enlightmnment

last major revelation of the morning was i like being called 'franco' - it signifies ´sincere´ in spanish. more importantly, some people seem to be hung up with having one name by which they are identified and with which they identify themselves. imagine being a dick or rick or rich - it would be an ordinary day, every day for as long as you are a dick.

on the other hand, i can be juan andres patricio robinson franco hazelwood jones, or not. i can be juan robinson franco, or juan franco, or franco -

the point is i am, and can be what i want to be...

the second point being, if you do not learn someway of sleeping on a hammock, you should, because there are a whole lot of important matters to be resolved before your die.

this brings me to: turn left



danny left the hostel without saying goodbye - not the end of the world, but, i suppose that is kind of the way life is...

we headed off to the pyramids of cautec with jesus - the driver.

the shame and tears in my eyes as we passed by the desacrated tombs of the nazca and inca´s were an indication of what was to come.

upon ariving at the pyramids, actually 32 pyramids of adobe in an area of some 24 square kilometers - the tallest being roughly 30 meters in height, dimishing to just over a metre. were constructed somwhere between 200bc and 400ad by the nasca tribe of centeral peru. it is speculated by the italian antropologists excavating the site for the last eighteen years - the site served to bring together all of the priests of the valley in this exact geometric center of the nasca plateau - the high priest at top, and all of the lesser gods below. a site to behold, surely.

jesus and i started our climb to the first excavated platform when andes, and eithy five year old man appeatred and told us we were not allowed on the site. if a man of that age carrying a stick has the bravado to stand-up to three grown men, something important is about to follow

this is where my plans turned left...

four hours later, as I turned to go back from atop the highest pyramid with jesus (andes and tony were some 30mtrs below) the sun started to set with a kaleidescope of colors appearing on the nasca plains. jesus began telling me a bunch of really important stuff...

long story made short, i took off my shoes like michelle told me to do (no she is not crazy, an african shaman in africa told her to do this so as to stay healthy in a new place - and i had forgot until that specific magical moment) this 300 pound man in shorts, sandles and out of breath and i sat down on the ground and had a heart to heart. the sunset turned to a blanket of stars before i looked up and saw the grabndure of the place, and the souther cross.

the plan for today is to spend the next week in nasca visually documenting the greatness of the civilization as it was 2000 years ago and as it is now. it makes perfect sense for so many reasons...

like i said in my fiorst email, GOD LAUGHS...

peace and love from the internet bodega in nasca

p.s. the one taco was a gift from michelle - we were in santa fe, and i introduced myself to a distinguished looking native american man by the name of blue horse -- the conversation whent something like this

my name is juan

one?
juan!
one?
juan!!!!
one
juan franco, juan franco

one taco, one taco-.---



Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb