Humm....


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca
March 10th 2005
Published: March 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

something funny happened to me on the way to the hamock -

cocks, and men have several things in common - no not that - that they want everyone to know how important they are, and want everyone to look at them - and then the yeventually etiher go away or shut up...

if you are at a small provincial restaurant, and out of courtesy the owner, you are served a bowl of soup - caution it may be hot, and it may be soup from fish heads... once again, smile (and unlike the guiny pig) swollow all of it... and say thank you very much it was fantastic -

when i was a child i played like a child and was child like - the more i play, the more childlike i become and the more fun i have, more of a person i become and the world becomes a better place(check what JC say´s about being childlike) this did not happen for me in twnethy years in the corporate world..


antonio headed off to the bus station for the seven hour return ride from nasca to lima at 1am last night - only to retrun to oro nuevo hostel and knock on my window to tell me ´que hay paro de tranporte´ - gotta love it... transportation went on strike in order to fix a dispute about some land in nasca...

i re started my morning at around half seven (as my irish family would say) after getting about four hours sleep -so, off we headed with the new travel companion - jesus and my old friend tony in tow to explore more of the mystifying nasca culture

first stop was an acqueduct system designed and constructed oevr two thousand years ago by the predesessors of the incas - the nascas - there are roughly five kilometers of fresh water flowing from the andes mountains - absolutely magnificent...

the design allows underground stremas to consolidate into one system and in order to maintain the hydraulic preassure, the nascas constructed a series of some twenty five large hoels in the ground - the holes are either spiral walls constructed of mid sized round, river rocks, stacked in three to five foot high walls in either a circle oir a spiral. the diameter at the top might be thirty to vifty feet, and it either follows smaller concentric circles, or it spirals down- tghe science beind it was to either force preassure from the wind on the surface (push water down the canal-spiral) or allow the preasure to be released and reduce the flow (circuklar concentric). for the scientifically chalenged like me, it was amazing - i can only imagine what an engineer or scientist would think

somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 digital and 125 b&w images of beautifull people, places, objects is the current count of point in time capture on this stage of the adventure - i can hardly wait to see them on a computer...

speaking of computers, my mentions of interet bodegas over the past week did not really position things - it is more like, locals which used to sell goods, now a some sodas or ice cream for sale, and fifty computers with cam´s, headphones to play music, high speed internet connections.

the transition in the culture will be phenomenal. kids currently surround me, busy chatting with other kids from mexico, spain, colombia, other spanish speaking countries, and add some brazilians in it for some spice. the mood is more of a dating - social club which removes social and economic barriers which have stood since the start of time. consider for a moment the possibilities for education, reducing hate, increaing peace... man, we should all be on the internet with iraqui´s, russians, north koreans, colombians and solve the problems our insitutions and government have created for us....

So, after the morning excursion, and leaving Tony at the bus station, and making sure he would get to lima in the next day - that closes this chapter of my adventure...

colombian photograper meets shoe shine boy - God moves - shoe shine boy gets to go on his first luxury (used lossely) bus trip, boat ride to the islas ballestres sees penguins, and air plane trip - i think he is ready to soar with the condors - i look forward to tracking his road over the next several decades and am thankfull for what he taught me...

the road and jesus (not JESUS - well, yeah JESUS and jesus), took good care of me this afternoon - i will save that for another day - i am looking to do some freelance articles and photos essays for publication and have tons of ideas - a few in process

met with shamans to discuss the impact of current medecine and culture on traditional healing

am meeting with gold miners tommorrow to shoot some photos and try to get some kind of grasp of why they would cut their lives short intentionaly by working and sleeping in a hole 8 of they share full time to make sure other miners to not squat the dig - i suppose the mercury processing and living underground, and working 18 hours a day, and the coca leaves might have an impact on the longevity - perhaps if they would only stop smoking - alas, a sad human loss.

using gps technology i brought, correlate all of the various lines to the pyramids, aqueducts, seasons, stars should probably wait for someone else...

i am going to leave a visual document for the people of the world regarding this GREAT culture. all of the sites i am visiting will be on a web site i am going to start devloping to help ensure this is not lost and that future generations of peruvian children, american children and all children can see how magnificent and énvironmental friendly´ these people were.

Pachamama - mother earth was priority number 1...

yeah, i arranged to trade one week of hostel for some web development...

- keep your eyes on my site www.juanfranco.com/nasca

as always, peace and love and i love you LBCR-MH

¡me despido desde el internet en nasca!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 65; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb