Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Ica
Blogs from Ica
Latest Blogs from Ica
- April 30th 2013 The oasis of Huacachina and from Lima to Chiclayo
by Words: 1545 Photos: 13
- April 28th 2013 146, 147 diena. Kelionė pas pingvinus ir jūrų liūtus
by Words: 471 Photos: 0
- April 28th 2013 Oh those Nazca Lines!
by Words: 1470 Photos: 20
- April 27th 2013 144, 145 diena. Mumijos ir akvedukai.
by Words: 385 Photos: 1
- April 26th 2013 143 diena. Nazca linijos.
by Words: 320 Photos: 1
- March 19th 2013 Squeezing the Last Bits of Fun out of this Vacation
by Words: 1162 Photos: 22
- March 17th 2013 Nazca Part II: Aqueducts, Dune Buggies and Sand Boarding
by Words: 1372 Photos: 20
- March 16th 2013 Nazca Lines, Mummies and Desert
by Words: 1391 Photos: 35
- February 22nd 2013 Ica - Sand Dunes and Sea Lions
by Words: 591 Photos: 2
- February 10th 2013 Huacachina...Islas Ballestas y Playa de Asia...
by Words: 807 Photos: 46
- January 24th 2013 Ica , Huacachina and Huaraz
by Words: 2397 Photos: 70
- December 31st 2012 Nazca Lines and Boarding the Dunes
by Words: 508 Photos: 0
- December 13th 2012 Nasca
by Words: 404 Photos: 0
- December 11th 2012 Paracas
by Words: 110 Photos: 0
- December 11th 2012 Huacachin
by Words: 344 Photos: 0
- November 9th 2012 2 Hours of Rain..... A Year!
by Words: 857 Photos: 22
- October 2nd 2012 Four dreaded words!
by Words: 1323 Photos: 36
- October 1st 2012 Haven’t you rubbed it on your balls though?
by Words: 984 Photos: 21
- September 28th 2012 Nazca Lines
by Words: 147 Photos: 2
- September 15th 2012 Sandboarding
by Words: 495 Photos: 6