Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Huacachina
Blogs from Huacachina
Latest Blogs from Huacachina
- April 30th 2013 The oasis of Huacachina and from Lima to Chiclayo
by Words: 1545 Photos: 13
- February 10th 2013 Huacachina...Islas Ballestas y Playa de Asia...
by Words: 807 Photos: 46
- January 24th 2013 Ica , Huacachina and Huaraz
by Words: 2397 Photos: 70
- December 11th 2012 Huacachin
by Words: 344 Photos: 0
- November 9th 2012 2 Hours of Rain..... A Year!
by Words: 857 Photos: 22
- September 15th 2012 Sandboarding
by Words: 495 Photos: 6
- August 14th 2012 Chile and Peru
by Words: 338 Photos: 0
- July 28th 2012 A Stop at an Oasis
by Words: 1400 Photos: 15
- July 23rd 2012 Sand Dunes and Looney Tunes (and people)
by Words: 394 Photos: 0
- July 14th 2012 Lima and the Oasis of Huacachina
by Words: 1349 Photos: 29
- July 11th 2012 Huacachina: An Oasis of Fun, Frolics, Buggies and Sandboarding!
by Words: 1889 Photos: 52
- June 18th 2012 The Awe and Wonder that is Ica, Paracas, and Huacachina.
by Words: 1901 Photos: 12
- June 18th 2012 The Auzangate Treck & SandBoarding
by Words: 53 Photos: 32
- May 15th 2012 A Bungee, Machu and Maccas
by Words: 728 Photos: 0
- May 10th 2012 Huacachina is like a sandbox for big kids!
by Words: 3798 Photos: 94
- February 2nd 2012 First day with Amber
by Words: 543 Photos: 2
- January 22nd 2012 No matter what, you will have sand in every imaginable place, and some unimaginable.
by Words: 1091 Photos: 8
- January 13th 2012 Surfin' Safari
by Words: 1553 Photos: 0
- December 6th 2011 Oasis, Desert and Pisco
by Words: 734 Photos: 17
- November 3rd 2011 Peru, Argentina, first few days...
by Words: 597 Photos: 1