Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Blogs from Ballestas Islands
Latest Blogs from Ballestas Islands
- October 1st 2012 Haven’t you rubbed it on your balls though?
by Words: 984 Photos: 21
- March 20th 2012 Poormans Galapagos and sandboarding in the dunes
by Words: 192 Photos: 10
- January 14th 2012 The smell of Guano
by Words: 1138 Photos: 0
- October 27th 2011 An Ode
by Words: 223 Photos: 40
- August 6th 2011 Did someone say penguins???
by Words: 816 Photos: 9
- July 8th 2011 Paracas
by Words: 411 Photos: 0
- June 14th 2011 These islands are for the birds
by Words: 199 Photos: 14
- April 11th 2011 Pisco & Nazca
by Words: 914 Photos: 29
- March 28th 2011 Ballestos boobies and sand sliding!
by Words: 871 Photos: 57
- February 25th 2011 Pisco and the Ballestas islands
by Words: 848 Photos: 65
- December 29th 2010 The Isla Ballestas Islands
by Words: 32 Photos: 81
- December 21st 2010 Islas Ballestas und mehr...
by Words: 243 Photos: 14
- September 9th 2010 Isla Ballestas - David Attenborough eat your heart out!
by Words: 357 Photos: 26
- August 13th 2010 Pisco & Islas Ballestas, Peru
by Words: 10 Photos: 19
- July 11th 2010 Las Islas Ballestas... Final SA trip
by Words: 226 Photos: 31
- June 22nd 2010 Pisco - Have you heard of the bird with the expensive turd?
by Words: 965 Photos: 14
- June 4th 2010 Ballestas Islands
by Words: 538 Photos: 0
- March 4th 2010 bird poo and wailing sea lions
by Words: 876 Photos: 13
- January 17th 2010 Reserva de Paracas y las Islas Ballestas
by Words: 578 Photos: 6
- November 24th 2009 Sun, Sand, and Seabirds
by Words: 1358 Photos: 19