inca yupanqui


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Nazca » Nazca Lines
March 8th 2005
Published: March 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

he could not have been more than about nine years old, he looked at my dish of food recently eaten, and glanced into my eyes - puedo - all i had left was letuce, tons of onions, assorted pieces of uneaten ceviche...

the starkeness of the white sand dunes, the pacific ocean, and the oasis which is pisco was hard to take in - my eyes saw white sand, green from the grapes, chile, cotton and corn planted along side of the pisco river adjacent the foothills to the andes.

an early morning pick up at the hostel, which was operating on late time took us down the coast from the city of pisco to the port of paracas - the same port from shich San Martin launched his war of liberation from spain many centuries ago. we headed off on a small oat out to the islas de ballestras, a nature preserve and admired some of Gods handy work along with quite a bot of the bird{s handy work in the form of guano. amidst the rocky formation in the pacific covered in guano, humbolt penguins, juana birds, seagulls, sea lions tending to their young, and pelicans popping in and out of the ocean with the catch of the moment. Antonio speaking from a semi-coma state of amazement could barely utter ´we peruvians are not poor, we just do not know how to value what we have´.

not sure if anonio knew the truth of the wisdom spoken, and the deep truth for all mankind which it held. His smile and contentment was ccontagious - all captured with the camera his sister loaned him which had neither film nor batteries. he wanted pictures of his adventures to show people at home what he had seen becuase they could not beleive it if he told them what he did and saw.

after the three hour tour, i invited him and my new italian friend danny to accompany me to tambo colorado.

Little did i realize the incredible adventure which was awaiting. Amidst the starkenss of the sand, mountains, peasant huts and the crops rose the ruins of the ´administrative center´ -tambo- of the great inca yupanqui son of the great kind of the incas pachacutec.

This was his resting place when he was carried throughout his trip aouround the 4,000 kilometer long empire. How much do I have, who has it, where is it were the visuals he suaght while verifying the information kept by his accountants on the quipus - abacus type string -

the colors still remain, yellow, white and red {ergo - colorado[ the huge complex overlooked the pisco valley, being fed water from the river some two kilometers away in order for the inca to bathe. the sacrifical mounds, military parade grounds, concubine baths and quarters sorrounded his private quarters. his bed, with the adobe foundation would have been covered with straw, cotton and richly woven colored blankets. His private bath ran, while his concubines bathed in a seperate area in preparation for their encounter.

absolutely breathtaking said danny, it is of the same greatness of machu picchu in a different sort - spoken in a semi italian spanish

on the way back, we stopped at tn havcienda of a land owner of the entire valley which was taken by president velasco in 1968 and given back to the people - the original owners have purchased the hacienda back from the people. the site of the first pisco made in modern times in peru held such magesty, eventhhough the cathedral built some four hundred years ago was in disarray.

the trip from pisco to nazca was long and windy - internet access seems to deteriorate as i go south - smaller, slower and older... see what i find next

in the morning tony goes on his first flight, and i get to shoot the lines in nazca

the love of my life, left beind in the usa continues to wear heavy on my heart - i miss her and dream of her, awaking at night calling her name - michelle i love you and miss you

peace and love

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb