Sand dunes and Pisco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
August 16th 2013
Published: August 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We woke up and packed up. Today we board a coach for 5 hours to a dessert Oasis called Huacachina. We picked cheap tickets with a company called Cruz del sur. The seats were great, and it felt more like boarding a plane with passport control, luggage tickets, and on board stewards with food and drinks served.


We arrived in Huachina and booked into our hotel called Mossone. The rooms are all round a courtyard which has 2 pet tortoise, budgies and a fish pond. It's warm during the day here but chills down in the evening. We went for a walk round town which only takes 15mins round the Lagoon, it's tiny. We then trekked up one of the smaller sand dunes overlooking town to see the sunset. This was much harder to walk up than it looked but fun to walk down. Gorgeous views from the top.

Day two we headed on a tour of two local Wine and Pisco Bodegas. The first was industrial and the second traditional. The second was a lot more interesting. But sadly feb/march is the best time of year to see these as harvest has been and gone. We got to try some Piscos(I still don't like it straight but it's nice in a cocktail) and some Peruvian wines. We did wonder why we have never had Peruvian wine before, after tasting them we now know why, very sweet and described by our guide as what young Peruvians with no money use to get drunk and make babies!!

After lunch we headed out on a dune buggy round the sand dunes. This was very scary. Felt like a roller coaster on wheels. Not sure it would pass the health and safety checks in the UK but was fun and you get to see much better views of the dunes which go on for miles and miles with nothing else around. Phill had a go at sandboarding and I walked around the dunes. We watched the sun set over the dunes and then headed back to Huacachina.

After a quick dinner we headed for the bus station for our night bus to Arequipa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



24th August 2013
IMG_0105.PNG

What a great picture
This is a fun, free spirited picture. Enjoy the rest of your stay in Peru. I hope the condors are out in force for you.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb