Condors, Alpacas, and stunning views!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
August 22nd 2013
Published: August 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So after a 12 hour night bus from Ica we arrived in Arequipa. We travelled VIP with Cruz del sur, and this made the journey very easy. The seats were big leather recliners, with a telly each and steward. Would defiantly recommend.

We checked into our accommodation a Casa called Casa de Avila. It was nice all the rooms are round a central garden that has a pet turtle.

We chilled out as the night bus had been long. We then explored the town getting some food. Exploring the food market which was interesting, and seeing all the old buildings.

Day two was spent relaxing and shopping for winter woollies for our trek which is fast approaching.

Day three we awoke early and were collected by our tour guide Olivia, along with 3 other people we headed to the Colca canyon to explore for 2 days.

Phill, me and a priest from Peru and 2 guys originally from India who now live in Canada travelled round in a mini bus. Olivia our tour guide made the day enjoyable telling us all about the rare flora and fauna. We got to see llamas, alpacas, Vicuña, rabbits and eagles. All very cool. We also went to one of the highest points, altitude got to us a little and we had some Coca tea to help. But hopefully this will be the same in Cusco as it didn't effect either of us to badly. We checked into a hotel and had a lunch of Alpaca, phill had an Alpaca steak and I had stroganoff quite a nice taste( although not the best cooking as both were very tough)

After lunch we had a lovely walk through the area, such stunning views, before we headed to a hot spring to relax for a few hours. After a lovely dinner we went to sleep.

Day four we awoke early, filled up on a breakfast of different cereals, corns, wheats and fruit and of course Coca tea. We then headed out in the mini bus again to see more sights and towns. Finally we got to Colca canyon to see the massive condors flying around. They are very big. We tried to get a good picture but it's hard with them flying so fast. We then went for a walk along the canyon seeing the magnifinsent views. We even got to see a wild fox feasting on an old bull. There were many different varieties of cactus everywhere.

After seeing the canyon we drove back to Arequipa saying good bye to our group. We had dinner and headed to the bus station for another night bus. This time heading to Cusco...


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb