The Sacred Valley


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Inca Trail
April 21st 2006
Published: May 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Do I need to say.. Do I need to say.. Do I need to say..

Cant believe I was actually there...
Lo and I met Lotte at Lima airport, it was very exciting. We had a night in Lima catching up before we headed off on a plane to Cusco.

Cusco is beautiful, I am suprised that noone told me HOW beautiful it is. It has amazing buildings, ruins and mountains. Also has a great night life.
It is one of my favourite citys.

The 3 of us spent a couple of days acclimatising and looking at all the inca sites around cusco. The Sacred Valley of the Incas. There are loads and loads.

The Inca trail was amazing, probably one of the best things I have done.
We set out the first day and met our group, guide and porters. There were 13 of us trekkers, 2 guides and 17 porters (to carry our stuff), 2 chefs. It was definatly 5* trekking.
There was so much food it was untrue, 3 course at everymeal time. The porters are amazing, running the trail with all our stuff, and still smiling.

The views were unbelievable, there are loads of inca sites on the way too. We went from sub-tropical to mountains, saw colourful catapillars and spiders. We had loads of time to look around and see the sights.
Compared to the Bolivia trek we did, this was really easy.....

The second day was difficult, we had to go through dead womans pass, it was not kind to the knees - 12 hours of walking up and down steps, upto 4200m and back down!!

The third night we had to spend in the town Aguas Calientes, as a land slide has taken out the lsat few metres of the trail. Which was great, we could chill out in the hotsprings and rest our poorly knees. We also got to sleep on the floor of a pizza restuarant, finish your food- tables to one side then just roll our mats out, easy.

Although the next day when we got the bus, we were with all the cheats (lol) who had got the train.. we had to get the bus to Machu piccu.
It was still amazing, we were so early and the morning sun was still breaking through, it was really misty and very special.
We all felt very special to be there.

Lo, Lotte and I decided to climb the mountain at Machu piccu- which was
In the clouds.. Dead womans pass In the clouds.. Dead womans pass In the clouds.. Dead womans pass

Made it to the top 4200 m. Beautiful.
an amazing thing to do looking back, but at the time I thought I would be spending the rest of my life up there.. it was so steep, one slip and you would fall off the mountain. We got to see the condor shape of machu puchu, which was amazing.

When we left Machu Piccu we were all inspired but very tired (and have a night bus to arequipa ahead of us..). The Inca trail, definatly one of my favourite things.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

our campour camp
our camp

the 2nd night.
Machu PiccuMachu Piccu
Machu Piccu

At first light
Machu PiccuMachu Piccu
Machu Piccu

From the mountain
The stepsThe steps
The steps

12 hours of these.....


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 120; dbt: 0.1104s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb