Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Inca Trail
Blogs from Inca Trail
Latest Blogs from Inca Trail
- April 24th 2013 Inca Trek
by Words: 213 Photos: 14
- March 11th 2013 Inca Trek - Machu Piccu
by Words: 1535 Photos: 12
- January 21st 2013 Irish Ladies on Tour..Bolivia-Peru-Bolivia
by Words: 1313 Photos: 43
- November 17th 2012 Inca Trail Day 3: Are We There Yet?
by Words: 479 Photos: 51
- November 15th 2012 El Camino del Inca / The Inca Trail - Peru 2012
by Words: 632 Photos: 4
- November 13th 2012 Inca Trail Day 1: How Hard Can it Really Be?
by Words: 848 Photos: 23
- November 13th 2012 Inca Trail Day 2: Oh, THAT'S How Hard it Can Really Be...
by Words: 792 Photos: 9
- November 12th 2012 El Camino del Inca / The Inca Trail - Peru 2012
by Words: 432 Photos: 2
- November 11th 2012 Camino del Inca / Inca Trail Peru 2012
by Words: 402 Photos: 3
- November 10th 2012 Camino del Inca / The Inca Trail 2012
by Words: 234 Photos: 5
- October 30th 2012 Final blog of S. America. Continent cries for cosmics
by Words: 1298 Photos: 0
- September 9th 2012 Trekking the Inca Trail
by Words: 779 Photos: 3
- August 20th 2012 Bolivia & Peru
by Words: 106 Photos: 0
- August 20th 2012 Peru Trip (August 11th- 27th, 2012)
by Words: 774 Photos: 53
- August 12th 2012 Treking the Inc Trail - Machu Picchu
by Words: 599 Photos: 4
- July 1st 2012 The Inca Trail
by Words: 2140 Photos: 10
- June 28th 2012 Our Journey Towards Machu Picchu Begins with Biking, Trekking and Partying!
by Words: 1509 Photos: 37
- June 3rd 2012 Inca Trail - Classic is always best!
by Words: 1706 Photos: 52
- March 19th 2012 Inca Trail (ou comment prendre la prochaine sortie pour l´autoroute touristique)
by Words: 855 Photos: 0
- March 10th 2012 IncaTrail
by Words: 3515 Photos: 35