Aqui en Cusco !


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
December 28th 2010
Published: February 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

crossing the desertcrossing the desertcrossing the desert

Crossing the Nazca desert on our way to Cusco from Lima (the first time).
QUSQU )

Cusco is a city of many things; as the Incan capital, it was known as the belly-button of the world (much like Rome). The Spanish referred to Cusco as the city of “Luz y Oro,” because the robbed the people and the land of its gold with the mission of “luz,” or a corrupted version of Christianity. Cusco it is also known as the “City of the Sun,” perhaps for the intense white light that the sun emits at such close proximity. Cusco is also the Cultural Capital of the Americas, the Archeological Capital of Americas and Historical Capital of Latin America.

Cusco is filled with many riches, yet the most important thing here is the Cartagena Hermoza family. And we came here to see Guillermo's family and to enjoy our time living together, for a while, in the town where they all grew-up in, and live day-to-day.

Peru is amazing.

Where can one start in attempting to explain the rich diversity of Peru? From the Criolla culture of the coast; of ceviche, Parihuela, moscata wine and perfumed Pisco, the sounds of the cajón with the booming voice of Eva Ayllón or the Salsa en
Bus TripBus TripBus Trip

This is the road we take; although this photo is deceiving, because their is only curves on this trip.
Callao (are just a few of my favorites) to the Andean heights (here, close to the Sun in Cusco, at 11203 ft), passing below to the depths of the selva, or Jungle; where every color of sweet fruit, four foot pods with sweet cotton fillings, the deep flavors of Peruvian Café, rich cocao and the riches of coco grow with tepid rains and the Chicha music keeps the the glasses of Cristal beer full.

Just in describing the food : ah, la comida peruana!
The food here is really tasty. Not only is it treated with fresh herbs, soaked in its own blood for three days, cooked over with lime juice, stuffed with three other meats, dehydrated at altitudes of 1300 feet, sprinkeled with salted and toasted corn grains, smoked with pine, spiced with blended peppers, boiled with chicken and pigs feet, or baked in wooden stoves made out of clay (the pizza, the lasanga, the guinea pig, the potatoes, the stuffed rocotto peppers, the corn and wheat breads), but it is prepared and served with care. And for this reason; it just feels so good to eat Peruvian food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Up in the AndesUp in the Andes
Up in the Andes

Getting there . .
Guille overlooking his natal city Guille overlooking his natal city
Guille overlooking his natal city

At the heights of the Sacsayhuamán site, the red tiled rooftops painting the city of Cusco can be viewed.
La Vista de Cada Mañana La Vista de Cada Mañana
La Vista de Cada Mañana

Looking towards the center of Cusco from our bedroom window.
Surprising the FamilySurprising the Family
Surprising the Family

After absent for seven years, Guillermo dropped-in to visit all of his family members. Here, we surprised Guillermo's uncle in the city hospital.
Padre y hijoPadre y hijo
Padre y hijo

Guillermo and his dad, in a way are both crazy scientist. Here, they work in the laboratory of Guillermo's dad, Willy, solving an electronic puzzle.
Madre y HijoMadre y Hijo
Madre y Hijo

Guillermo's mom, Nancy, is the Directora of The Olympic School of Cusco, where they are dedicated in offering education and sports opportunities to rural children in Cusco. yay !
Calles de CuscoCalles de Cusco
Calles de Cusco

Every stone paving the streets and holding the walls of Cusco tight, represents a dynamic past; as The Sacred City of the Incas and the Golden City of the Spanish. It is impossible to not hear ever thing that this city has to say; even in every stone. The Spanish destroyed many Inca buildings, temples and palaces. They used the remaining walls as bases for the construction of a new city. From Wikipedia : " Cusco stands on layers of cultures, with the old Tawantinsuyu built on Killke structures, and the Spanish having replaced indigenous temples with Catholic churches, and palaces with mansions for the invaders."
el carro del abuleoel carro del abuleo
el carro del abuleo

Guille finds the car of his Grandpa in the streets of Cusco .
AH ! Baby Lucas ! AH ! Baby Lucas !
AH ! Baby Lucas !

The dedicated first-time parents: Sarit and Vadim, attend their one-month old, baby Lucas after a bath of chamomile (little king).
Hanging out with the Abuela Hanging out with the Abuela
Hanging out with the Abuela

Abuela Marta has got a big light in her eyes.
Shoe ShopShoe Shop
Shoe Shop

Three pairs of shoes have taken advantage of the shoemakers in Cusco.
Buying at the marketBuying at the market
Buying at the market

After going shopping with Guillermo's mom at the sunday market, the result is always a twenty pound bag in each painful grip. . . . supporting the weight of fresh mangos, pinneaple, potatoes of every color, slabs of meat, avocadoes, and prickely and spiky fruits.
Sacsayhuamán RocksSacsayhuamán Rocks
Sacsayhuamán Rocks

The Sacsayhuaman site is a large plaza area overlooking Cusco, that once served as a ceremonial and military site. The large limestone rocks are cut with such precision that a sheet of paper can not slide between. The main structure was designed as the shape of a puma's head, with the monolithic zig-zag walls completing the jaws of the praised animal. The rest of the puma's body extended down the mountain, determining the design of the ancient city of Cusco.
Sacsayhuamán Tunnels Sacsayhuamán Tunnels
Sacsayhuamán Tunnels

Standing in between two converging tunnels at the Sacsayhuamán site. These tunnels once reached the center of the city, connecting temples and important sites. They have long been destroyed. Today, a dark passageway of 100 meters or so invites the curious to crawl through.
Slides at SacsayhuamánSlides at Sacsayhuamán
Slides at Sacsayhuamán

Children from centuries past must have been sliding down these huge slides of rock at Sacsayhuamán just as they continue to do so today.
Mercado de todo Mercado de todo
Mercado de todo

after eating my "Caldo de Gallina," from the second floor of the market; a great view.


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0171s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb