To Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Salkantay Trail
December 11th 2010
Published: February 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Via pick-upVia pick-upVia pick-up

Day one: hitch a ride on the back of a truck. The priest driving was tearing up the roads and taking the curves on the mountain roads with all faith possible.
Our adventure to Machu Picchu !
. By taxi packed with 8 bodies, a truck conducted by a priest who knows how to take every curve with grace, a pully train rattling down the jungle rails, a army jeep full of a Quechua speaking family of 10 stopping in the middle of their constant jokes to pick avocados in the road, and by our very own feet, we arrived in Machu Picchu in a record two days (when the trail typically takes 6 days).

We were chased by bulls on a thin mountain trail, and never has my adrenaline been so effective as we scaled the steep wall with our heavy backpacks. We carried all of our gear straight up the mountain without the typical relief of mules, and never has my legs trembled with fatigue. We hiked through the constant showers, and never have I been so thankful for a thin plastic poncho. We passed through the Andes and arrived at the "ceja" or "eyebrow" of the Amazon jungle and we were marveled by our amazing adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Me and the CowMe and the Cow
Me and the Cow

Warming up to the cow. Later to be bucked a few yards by a young bull. I learned about the Toros on this trip : two days later my adrenaline hit all highs when two bulls came running down our narrow mountain path. They were being trandported by two other men running behind with ropes and throwing rocks. We had no warning and somehow scaled the rock wall with our backpacks on to save our life. uuuhhhh.
before the summit . . before the summit . .
before the summit . .

Guille and I feeling peaceful before arriving to the mountain.
...and the rain comes...and the rain comes
...and the rain comes

The thunder claps and the rain begins. . .just as we begin the climb. ( For this reason most begin the hike at 6 am ) . . . but we wanted more that first day.
a bit of suna bit of sun
a bit of sun

We finally find a patch of sun up in the knees of Sankantay. Yet, the storm was just beginning.
aaaahhhhaaaaa !aaaahhhhaaaaa !
aaaahhhhaaaaa !

It is bigger than it looks.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb