Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Salkantay Trail
Blogs from Salkantay Trail
Latest Blogs from Salkantay Trail
- August 3rd 2013 Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu
by Words: 1413 Photos: 43
- August 1st 2013 Salkantay to Machu Picchu
by Words: 2373 Photos: 12
- May 15th 2013 Salkantay Inca trail
by Words: 66 Photos: 24
- May 9th 2013 Return to Cusco
by Words: 1833 Photos: 9
- May 8th 2013 Salkantay Trek with Mountain Lodges of Peru: Day 7!
by Words: 1735 Photos: 19
- May 7th 2013 Salkantay Trek with Mountain Lodges of Peru: Day 6!
by Words: 1814 Photos: 8
- May 7th 2013 Pre-Machu Picchu
by Words: 13 Photos: 13
- May 6th 2013 Salkantay Trek with Mountain Lodges of Peru: Day 5!
by Words: 1729 Photos: 15
- May 5th 2013 Salkantay Trek with Mountain Lodges of Peru: Day 4!
by Words: 1333 Photos: 9
- May 4th 2013 Salkantay Trek with Mountain Lodges of Peru: Day 3!
by Words: 1657 Photos: 6
- May 3rd 2013 Trekking: Day 2
by Words: 1799 Photos: 11
- May 2nd 2013 Trekking with Mountain Lodges of Peru: Day 1
by Words: 1661 Photos: 10
- September 16th 2012 Heading south to Machu Picchu
by Words: 825 Photos: 27
- August 27th 2012 Not the Inca Trail
by Words: 1755 Photos: 89
- August 1st 2012 Cusco and trekking to Machu Picchu
by Words: 1338 Photos: 21
- July 25th 2012 I climbed a mountain. It hurt.
by Words: 746 Photos: 4
- January 14th 2012 Cuzco to Machu Picchu via Mountain Lodges
by Words: 2178 Photos: 19
- October 2nd 2011 Inca Trail Salkantay
by Words: 648 Photos: 62
- October 1st 2011 True Trekking
by Words: 501 Photos: 0
- June 7th 2011 Salkantay Trek with Pictures
by Words: 1310 Photos: 8