Salkantay Trek - Day 5 Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Salkantay Trail
March 19th 2018
Published: March 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Alarms went off at 3.50am and we started trying to pack the last few things we'd left out overnight desperately trying to dry after yesterday's rainy hike. Half an hour later we were ready to leave and left most of our stuff in the hotel reception before heading on down to the queue for the bus. Kira and Jannine were already in the queue and Pal and Vivjan were a couple of people ahead of us. Catherine, Adrian and Cameron had decided to hike up and they went past us a couple of minutes later waving, on their way down to wait for the bridge to open. Luckily the weather was good even though it was still dark and we took our places in the queue sitting on the ground waiting the hour for the buses to start running. The queue got longer and longer and about 15mins before 5.30am Leo showed up checking we were all in the queue like we were supposed to be asking us what time we arrived and then managed to cut in the queue at the last minute. Kira and Jannine got onto the first bus and we were on the second along with Pal, Vivjan and Leo. The buses made their way across the bridge at the bottom and wound their way up and up and up through multiple switchbacks up the side of the mountain. At various sections we could see where the walking trail which was basically just steps cut straight up and passed over the road. There were quite a few people making their own way up. We arrived at the top and had some time to wait for the others who were hiking up so we had some of the breakfast we had been given from the hotel when we checked out. Just outside the entrance to Machu Picchu there is a luxurious hotel, some toilets where you have to pay 2 soles to use, a cafe and just loads of people milling about along with a load of guides shouting out to try and get some trade for tours inside Machu Picchu.

After a while about 6.20am Cameron and Adrian appeared at the top of the steps looking very sweaty and we all cheered. Catherine arrived about 5-10mins later. Cameron confirmed that the route was as described and was very tough and they felt like Indiana Jones hiking up some sections. Once everyone was ready we queued to get into Machu Picchu and had to show our passports and tickets with matching details and we were scanned through. Leo then led us all uphill to the place where all the famous photos of Machu Picchu have been taken from and we were able to get some good shots from without there being many tourists around. We also then all put our t shirts on that we had been given the night before which said I survived the 7 snakes on the back with Salkantay Trekking on the front and had a group photo taken. We should get these in the coming days from Leo through Facebook so hopefully will be able to share then. Leo then led us on a tour around the ruins giving us various facts and information about the Inca's and the Quechua people pointing out the temples and various other buildings within the site. The site itself is bigger than I thought it would be. It's strange walking around knowing you are so high up but I wasn't scared at all, it didn't feel that high even though we were amongst the clouds at times. The weather continued to be good and we got some good photos both with the mystical mist that kept appearing and without. After the tour with Leo he led us outside where we all said our goodbyes and gave him a tip as a group. We then all split up and were on our own for the first time in days. It was about 9.45am and the only schedule we had for the rest of the day was to be on the 16.43pm train at the bottom to Ollayamtambo where we would then all get transferred onto a minibus for the final journey back to Cusco and be dropped off at our various hostels and hotels.

After saying goodbye to Leo, myself and Steph went to the cafe for a drink and a sit down before planning the rest of our day. You were allowed to re-enter Machu Picchu once so after our drinks we went back in and wondered around taking more photos and exploring. We bumped into Liam and Sophie by complete chance who were also wondering around. They had, had their own private tour guide who took them round speaking English. They also managed a bit of a lie in and said their guide said they didn't need to be at the gates to Machu Picchu until 7am. They also told us that their whole group had hiked up instead of getting the bus together taking their time and that there was never any talk of getting the bus. Me and Steph were now used to hearing the differences between the groups and we couldn't do anything except laugh although I would have loved the opportunity to hike up in the morning. As the other group left slightly later and had more time to get to the top they had the option and the satisfaction of feeling like they have achieved something because they had all hiked every section of the trek apart from the parts where everyone had to take the bus. It had become a bit of a running joke between Steph and I and Liam and Sophie that we had been on the extreme version of the trek and that if there was a harder way of doing something Leo would find it and lead us that way.

We carried on walking around Machu Picchu and took all the photos we wanted before deciding to head back down to the town pretty early on about midday. It had started to spit on and off with rain for the last hour but just as we were queuing for the bus to go down it started raining more heavily. By the time we reached the bottom in the town the heavens absolutely opened and it was raining even more than England and was monsoon like. We had timed it almost perfectly and only got a bit wet walking from the bus stop to the market near our hotel. We walked around the market which was luckily undercover and Steph bought a scarf and blanket which are made from alpaca wool. In Peru it's normal to barter for things and haggle to get the price down. Usually me and Steph are too polite, Steph especially but I don't know what got into her and she started offering half the cost for things etc! It was funny to see and we walked away with some bargains including a couple of presents for some special little people back home (I know you're reading this!). Once we were finished in the market we headed to a local restaurant for lunch and a beer. We got some free wifi and managed to do a quick FaceTime to people back home and just generally relaxed with the food and beer knowing we had finished the whole trek experience. It was mixed emotions that it was over but pleased at what we had achieved and seen. I think it will still take a few weeks for it all to sink in properly. Whilst at lunch we saw some of the others from our group who had been caught in the rain a bit and Catherine and Adrian went to the restaurant next to ours for food and we all did 'cheers' in the air with our beer from our restaurant to theirs! After lunch we walked around a bit more then headed back to the hotel to sort out bags out, charge our phones and just have a bit of a rest whilst waiting for the clock to come around to about 4.10pm when we would need to head down to the train station.

Once it was the right time we walked down to the station with all our stuff and with a few people from the other group. Once there we realised our train was already there and we managed to get on and get settled in plenty of time. All our tickets had assigned seat numbers and the staff checking us onto the train were very thorough and organised. After sitting down most of both groups were all split up and not sitting by the people they had come on the adventure with so after a bit of moving around we all settled down next to the people we knew. Myself and Steph ended up sitting with Liam and Sophie on a table so we were able to chat all the way. We didn't realise but we actually had some snacks and drinks included as part of our train tickets so the staff came round and served us all. After that something really strange happened and a man dressed up in a weird outfit with a pig/bear scary mask came dancing down the aisle of the carriage encouraging us to start clapping while some music was playing. He stopped at our table and pulled Steph out of her chair to start dancing which was so funny and I coudn't get my phone out quick enough to record it. He then carried on down the carriage doing the same with others and then tried to do it with me but I pushed down the arm of my seat so I couldn't get out! After that things got even more strange and the train staff started a fashion show down the aisle, wearing different alpaca wool type clothing and scarfs showing off how to wear them and encouraging people to stroke them! Our table just found it funnily weird and we were cracking up the whole time. Afterwards they then came down trying to sell us the items of clothing! Once we reached the end of the line we all got off the train we said goodbye to Liam and Sophie for the last time and our group got into a minibus for the ride back to Cusco. It took about an hour and a half and pretty much everyone fell asleep on the bus. We reached the hostel that Kira, Jannine and Cameron were staying in first and they got off hugging us and saying goodbye. We were next drop off and said goodbye to Catherine and Adrian, Pal and Vivjan. Once back at the hotel it as nice to find out the staff had already but our backpacks that we had left with them in our room ready so we could head straight there and have a nice shower. It was almost 9pm by this stage and we had already been regretting booking our flight so early for 10.20am the next day as it meant our taxi pickup was at 8am. We still had to unpack our backpacks and sort out all our smelly trek clothes, try and dry wet things on the radiator in the room and repack everything ready for the flight to Lima the next day. It was almost midnight by the time I was done.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb