Arequipa, Peru's White City


Advertisement
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
March 13th 2013
Published: March 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

My trip to the Colca Canyon and Cruz del Condor was so large that I wanted to write about the city of Arequipa in a separate blog. This actually includes the final day in Puno as well as the time in spent in the White City. taracloud had done some research and found an interesting day trip to do before I had to leave at 2:30. Not far from Puno is Sillustani, pre-Incan ruins on a hill overlooking ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




16th March 2013

Over-stimulated!
Brendan, impossible to share all my thoughts and questions dreamily floating in my head. Thanks for 'packing us in your suitcase' with a writing style that puts the reader there with you. Awesome pics! Thank you!
16th March 2013

My suitcase is getting heavy lol
Thank you Jackie. I am so glad you are enjoying the blogs and enjoy my writing. I am happy to have you along with me on this trip.
17th March 2013
Guinea pig habitat

Looking at the bright side, I guess that they at least have good homes before they're placed on the grill . . . :)
17th March 2013
Guinea pig habitat

Lol, that is so true Michelle. Now I don't feel so badly for having enjoyed one in a rich sauce.
17th March 2013

No pics of guinea pig lodgings or frozen girl?
Brendan how could you have the rare opportunity to view elaborate guinea pig castles and be so selfish as to keep their loveliness all to yourself? Hmm? Oh well. The funeral towers sound amazing! And the food is not so exotic, Alfredo pasta and antipasti! Seems one doesn't have to stoop to luring guinea pigs out of their castles when one is hungry after all! The convent is lovely but you really peeked my intreat with the frozen girl. Again, no pic?! Sigh. I'm sure you'll do better next time :)
17th March 2013

Guinea Pigs, Yes, Frozen Girl, No
Hi Jackie, Thank you for your comment. There is a picture of the guinea pig habitat, but unfortunately at the Juanita museum I had to give them my camera to be locked up. I don't think they want anyone sneaking pictures. If you Google Juanita mummy, you will find several good links. I would recommend it, because it is very interesting.
17th March 2013
Taracloud and bvchef

Taracloud and bvchef
What a fabulous pic of two TBers together...the commaraderie of TB never ceases to amaze me...sey Hi to Tara from me!
17th March 2013
Taracloud and bvchef

Thank you Dave
I really liked that picture as well. Meeting up with a TB friend was a special time. I keep my eyes out for other TBers who will be where I am, but this is the first time it has worked. If you and Denise make a CA trip, give a shout.
17th March 2013

Moroccan food instead of guinea pig?
I'm laughing now. They can put those little rodents in all the sauce they want but they are still rodents. I'm with you....I would have selected the Moroccan food for a bit of a change. We found the Peruvian food but not great. We are so excited that you got to spend time with Tara. Hopefully, that will happen for us someday. In the meantime, we miss you and are ready to have you come back home.
17th March 2013

lol, thank you
Yes, I thought it was time for something different for dinner. Having a great time and seeing some incredible sights. Will be great to see you when I get back. We will have to make plans. Miss you both.
17th March 2013

The memories are priceless
Dave here....good to hear from you again. Looks like the weather is cooperative for the most part and the views are just stunning. Sounds like you are having a great time! Looking forward to getting together and talking about "le grand voyage." Safe travels, my friend.
17th March 2013

It has been awesome
Thanks Dave. I have had some very good luck with the weather here. Looking forward to getting together and sharing Peru stories. See you soon.
17th March 2013

Food looks good to me
Hi B, I enjoyed the food pictures . Most of it looks really good. I wonder how one of the rodents would taste smoked? I enjoyed the mental picture of you looking fierce. Have fun and enjoy your holiday! Ted
17th March 2013

Grrr!
Oh Ted, I was the picture of fierceness as you can just imagine. lol The food has been very good. I have a feeling the little rodents would be quite tasty on the smoker. Perhaps you should try a few before my next visit. I just had the most incredibly delicious rotisserie chicken for lunch today. It was the second time I have gone to this same restaurant. Absolutely the best chicken!
18th March 2013
Taracloud and bvchef

Fantastic photograph that encapsualtes Travelblog
Two bloggers I want to meet and there they are - in the same place at the same time! Tara and I have often corresponded about our love for 15th and 16th century polyphony, and wouldn't I love to spend time with you talking about foods of the world!
18th March 2013
Taracloud and bvchef

Thank you Shane
I really enjoyed spending time with Tara. She is an incredibly interesting person. Would love to meet you. Heck, you know several SF based bloggers......
22nd March 2013

Great meeting you!
Excellent account of our adventures in the ruins, and I{m so glad you got to try the guinea pig, you adventurous eater. It was amazing magic that we were able to connect here in Peru, so in a couple of years when I return home, I{ll have to head up north to see you and the TB community up there. May you feast in Lima!

Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 41; qc: 176; dbt: 0.1773s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb