Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Arequipa
Blogs from Arequipa
Latest Blogs from Arequipa
- May 19th 2013 Watch out, I've got a spell to make you follow me like a dog!!
by Words: 1275 Photos: 7
- May 3rd 2013 The Canyon of the Condors - Colca Canyon
by Words: 2968 Photos: 0
- April 30th 2013 Canyon journey
by Words: 1229 Photos: 17
- April 26th 2013 Confusion, Convent and Chicken or our final two days in Arequipa
by Words: 1157 Photos: 20
- April 25th 2013 Arequipa Cooking Experience
by Words: 543 Photos: 34
- April 23rd 2013 Arequipa and it's countryside
by Words: 739 Photos: 33
- April 23rd 2013 The Colca Canyon trip
by Words: 1937 Photos: 41
- April 22nd 2013 The Cathedral of Arequipa
by Words: 364 Photos: 9
- April 21st 2013 The journey from Arica to Arequipa or 2 border crossings, 1 collectivos and 7 hours on a bus!
by Words: 1166 Photos: 8
- April 17th 2013 131, 132, 133 diena. Arequipa.
by Words: 533 Photos: 5
- April 14th 2013 130 diena. Terminiai vandenys.
by Words: 312 Photos: 1
- April 14th 2013 Arequipa
by Words: 634 Photos: 8
- April 13th 2013 129 diena. Huaruru krioklys.
by Words: 546 Photos: 1
- April 13th 2013 Arequipa
by Words: 366 Photos: 2
- April 11th 2013 126, 127 diena. Sugedes fotoaparatas ir kelionė į Colca kanjoną
by Words: 452 Photos: 1
- April 11th 2013 128 diena. Galingieji kondorai.
by Words: 645 Photos: 1
- April 10th 2013 125 diena. Arequipa
by Words: 336 Photos: 1
- April 7th 2013 Arequipa
by Words: 253 Photos: 0
- March 14th 2013 Copacabana , Arequipa and Colca Canyon
by Words: 1138 Photos: 0
- March 13th 2013 Arequipa, Peru's White City
by Words: 1498 Photos: 28