Made It...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
July 29th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Finally made it to Arequipa! It took us 11 hours on an overnight bus which wasn´t as bad as we thought it would be. We arrived around 8 am and took a taxi to out hostel w/ a girl from our last hostel. It seems that everyone we meet is moving in the same direction, we have run into alot of the same people which is quite nice. Anyway we are staying at Hostel Bothy which is nice and has a great view of El Misti and the Chachani Mtns. So the first day we went to see the Monestary de Santa Catalina. There are still 30 or so nuns that live here and have not left since they entered the convent. The rooms were really pretty as you´ll see in the pics. Anyway later we met another guy Rob from Texas that we have been hanging out w alot. Got dinner that night and went to a quiet bar where we ironically met another couple from Brooklyn and happened to be sitting on our bus to Arequipa too.

Today we bummed around and booked a 3 day 2 night trek into the Colca Canyon which is the second deepest canyon in the world. After we went to Museo Santury where they have a frozen body of a mummy they found up in the mountains. She was given as a sacrafice to the gods at age 12. No cameras aloud even though I snuck mine in. Still I wasn´t able to get any pics bc our guide was on our ass the whole time! Be back from our trek in 3 days so I´ll put pics up from that later...

PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb