Background: Colombia was one of the three countries that emerged from the collapse of Gran Colombia in 1830 (the others are Ecuador and Venezuela). A 40-year insurgent campaign to overthrow the Colombian Government escalated during the 1990s, undergirded in part by funds from the drug trade. Although the violence is deadly and large swaths of the countryside are under guerrilla influence, the movement lacks the military strength or popular support necessary to overthrow the government. An anti-insurgent army of paramilitaries has grown to several thousand strong in recent years, challenging the insurgents for control of territory and the drug trade, and also the government's ability to exert its dominion over rural areas. While Bogota steps up efforts to reassert government control throughout the country, neighboring countries worry about the violence spilling over their borders.
Photos from Guatape
Blogs from Guatape
Latest Blogs from Guatape
- October 20th 2012 Medellin, Colombia
by Words: 1133 Photos: 0
- September 21st 2012 Colombia..Pablos Country..
by Words: 1286 Photos: 23
- August 22nd 2012 On the road again.
by Words: 371 Photos: 5
- August 21st 2012 El paraíso
by Words: 257 Photos: 3
- February 10th 2012 Arriving in Medellin, Colombia
by Words: 296 Photos: 0
- December 3rd 2011 Off to see 'The Rock' and Guatape...
by Words: 1051 Photos: 23
- August 28th 2011 Latin American Johnslaught - #10, San Blas Voyage and flitting through Colombia (Cartagena and Medellin).
by Words: 1560 Photos: 41
- July 27th 2011 Crossing Colombia from North to South June 15 -July 24 2011
by Words: 4422 Photos: 80
- July 7th 2011 Medellin: Days 1-2
by Words: 615 Photos: 44
- June 9th 2011 medellin y guatape
by Words: 20 Photos: 67
- June 1st 2010 It's official... I'm in love.
by Words: 512 Photos: 0
- March 22nd 2010 The Turtle, Guatapé, a Motor Boat and Getting Burned
by Words: 2223 Photos: 29
- February 16th 2010 Bus 5491 to Medellin
by Words: 2677 Photos: 0
- December 28th 2008 Guatape and Piedra del Penol
by Words: 16 Photos: 26
- July 7th 2008 Estoy Enamorado
by Words: 1252 Photos: 40
- June 12th 2008 Colombia
by Words: 184 Photos: 0
- November 4th 2007 HOME TOWN OF PABLO ESCOBAR AND DANCING MIDGETS
by Words: 2417 Photos: 17
- October 4th 2007 Guatape and El Penol
by Words: 234 Photos: 15
- May 28th 2007 Guatape
by Words: 61 Photos: 8
- April 23rd 2007 Present location
by Words: 160 Photos: 0