Background: Colombia was one of the three countries that emerged from the collapse of Gran Colombia in 1830 (the others are Ecuador and Venezuela). A 40-year insurgent campaign to overthrow the Colombian Government escalated during the 1990s, undergirded in part by funds from the drug trade. Although the violence is deadly and large swaths of the countryside are under guerrilla influence, the movement lacks the military strength or popular support necessary to overthrow the government. An anti-insurgent army of paramilitaries has grown to several thousand strong in recent years, challenging the insurgents for control of territory and the drug trade, and also the government's ability to exert its dominion over rural areas. While Bogota steps up efforts to reassert government control throughout the country, neighboring countries worry about the violence spilling over their borders.
Photos from Ipiales
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Ipiales
Latest Blogs from Ipiales
- December 16th 2012 Colombia
by Words: 5028 Photos: 33
- May 21st 2012 Rihla #29
by Words: 100 Photos: 0
- May 17th 2012 Coffee Plantation, Chocolate and to the Border
by Words: 3917 Photos: 28
- May 2nd 2012 Off to Colombia
by Words: 665 Photos: 16
- March 29th 2011 Colombian Coffee - Good or Bad?
by Words: 2026 Photos: 28
- March 16th 2011 wild eyed, crazy Mary....
by Words: 854 Photos: 16
- June 26th 2010 Not Lourdes...
by Words: 40 Photos: 9
- June 23rd 2010 Ipiales: The only ugly place in Colombia
by Words: 261 Photos: 0
- January 29th 2010 Hoofin’ it to Colombia
by Words: 830 Photos: 13
- January 6th 2010 El Carneval de Negros y Blancos...
by Words: 136 Photos: 10
- October 8th 2009 Colombia - mile 12700
by Words: 1052 Photos: 24
- April 9th 2009 A bus and another bus and another bus...Getting to Quito
by Words: 855 Photos: 0
- December 6th 2008 PHOTOS Las Lajas Sanctuary
by Words: 74 Photos: 16
- November 23rd 2008 Welcome To Colombia
by Words: 681 Photos: 4
- April 7th 2007 A 29% reduction in homocides, Welcome to Cali
by Words: 2117 Photos: 11
- February 5th 2007 Ipiales, Colombia
by Words: 456 Photos: 12
- October 4th 2006 Day 94 - Crossing the Equator
by Words: 444 Photos: 2