Dancing in the streets of Rio


Advertisement
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ola from Rio

Just thought I'd quickly write about the last 3 days in Rio before I have to go and meet the tour group.

James & I arrived into rainy Rio on Wednesday morning after a long flight from London via Sao Paulo. We spend the day hanging out at the Mango Tree hostel where we've been staying as it was too wet to do anything and we were both tired. The hostel has been great fun and we've met some awesome people here too. (Thanks Chris for recommending it!)

On Thursday, we did a city tour of Rio, where we visited Tijuca National Park and saw some amazing views of the city, admired the Christ Redemeer statue up close and personal (very cool) and visited Saint Teresa, which is a cute suburb filled with cute alleyways and cobblestoned roads.

That night, I found heaven within Rio - the local havaiana flipflop store. The walls were just lined thick of them in whatever colour you wanted and they could even pimp your flipflops if you wanted with jewels and other tacky bits. I got 3 pairs and would love to go back and get more but now I have the fun task of carrying them around for the next wee while....

Yesterday, we hit Ipenema beach for some sun and surf. I went in for a very quick swim but the current was just so strong that you couldn't stand up for long.

Last night, we walked up to Capacabana beach and got there just in time for the sunset which was amazing. Visited some local markets and somehow I managed to resist temptation of not buying any more havianana flipflops.

A bunch of us had a great night out last night where we danced in the streets in an area called Lapa. Its basically one big street party in downtown Rio with vendors selling beer and food with live music everywhere and people having a bit of a boogey. You could go into the clubs as well but we spent the night on the streets with everyone else.

Rio has been fun place to visit - quite chilled out with the beaches and all, but you do have to watch everything and everyone around you so you don't get mugged.

Anyway better go but I'll keep you posted with the journey across South America thats about to begin. I can't wait!!

Brooke x

Advertisement



30th June 2008

New starts...
Sounds like your trip is off to a great start! Am sure it won't be long before pics of the flip-flop are on FaceBook!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb