Christ the Reedemer, Sugar Loaf and Men in Samba Drag....


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It took a staggering 27 hours to get from Salvador to Rio!!! Luckily the buses in Brazil are pretty comfortable and the drivers stop frequently so that you can stretch you legs and grab a bite to eat. We spent 3 nights in Rio and loved every second of it.

The weather was really nice, the hostel we stayed in in Copacabana was great and the things to see and do in Rio were amazing. You could easily spend weeks soaking up the sun, playing football with locals on Ipanema beach and samba dancing til the wee hours of the morning!!!

We were pretty tired when we arrived in Rio after our LONG bus journey so we spent our first day relaxing. We had a lovely lunch in a local cafe and spent a few hours watching football being played on Copacabana beach.

We organized a day trip of Rio with our hostel for the following day. The trip included a visit to Christ the Redeemer statue, Sugar loaf, the carnival museum and a drive around the famous Maracana stadium. We went with a group of about 10 people and had a great laugh. First stop was Christ
The Sugar LoafThe Sugar LoafThe Sugar Loaf

On our way to the top of the Sugar loaf in the cable car
the Redeemer and you really have to see it with your own eyes to understand how big it actually is!!! Plus the views of Rio from around the statue was pretty spectacular. After Christ the Redeemer, we visited the street were the famous Carnival parade takes place each February. Although certainly not as exciting as Carnival, we did get to dress in actual Carnival costumes and have our very own mini carnival parade!!!

On route to Sugar Loaf we managed to catch a glimpse of outside the Maracana stadium. We were hoping to catch a football match but unfortunately there were none on while we were there... poor Paul had tears in his eyes when he discovered the bad news.... it's amazing what can make a man cry!! :-)

Our final stop was Sugar Loaf at sunset.... simply breath-taking! And again the views from the top of Rio were beautiful. That night a gang of us headed to Lapa for a crazy night on the town. We started in a cool bar with pool tables and later headed next door for a folklore night!! We met some really nice Brazilian people that night and need I say ended
The gang!The gang!The gang!

All the guys that we did our day tour around Rio with, and partied with until early in the morning!!!
up back at our hostel at around 7am the following morning. That can I say - Brazilians love to party!!!

The following day we wandered down to Ipanema beach and sipped on cold beer while watching people surfing! Later that night we headed out to a club in Copacabana with a gang from our hostel.

We could have easily spent a few weeks relaxing in Rio but unfortunately the 3 days we spent there flew by. For those venturing to Brazil, a stop in Rio is a must! Our next stop is Iguazu Falls :-)

- By Karen and Paul


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Rio de JaneiroRio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro

The view from Christ the Reedemer
Sunset over RioSunset over Rio
Sunset over Rio

The view from the Sugar Loaf as the sun goes down over the magical city
Atop Sugar LoafAtop Sugar Loaf
Atop Sugar Loaf

The view of Christ the Reedemer from Sugar Loaf
Carnival!!Carnival!!
Carnival!!

All dressed up in our best carnival clothes. Pity with picked the wrong month! Still we can have a mini carnival.
Samba Lady!!Samba Lady!!
Samba Lady!!

Told Karen that we might have to move to Rio!! She wasn't too happy :)
Copacabana!Copacabana!
Copacabana!

Along the promenade on Copacabana beach.
Copacabana beachCopacabana beach
Copacabana beach

The beautiful and famous beach in Rio
Samba soccer!Samba soccer!
Samba soccer!

One of many areas on the beach where possibly the next Ronaldinho will learn his skills!
The bell towerThe bell tower
The bell tower

The bell tower outside a church in Rio


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb