Botafogo Football Match


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Copacabana
October 22nd 2006
Published: December 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Botafogo Football MatchBotafogo Football MatchBotafogo Football Match

Nemo and I with an avid Botafogo supproter
On arriving in Copacabana the first thing that I must tell you about is my hostel Stone of a Beach, definitely one of the best hostels I’ve ever stayed in with wicked staff, good food and the hot tub on the roof terrace......(hence the reason why I got stuck there for so long!

So decided to go to a futbal match (how the Brazilian’s spell it) and watch the local side Botafogo. Brazil currently has four local teams and they all play big matches at the Maracaña which is currently the biggest stadium in the world with a capacity of 180,000.

The Brazilians are renowned for their love of Football but what you fail to realise is that they are so passionate but there is no health and safety rules like back home. Hence the fact they are allowed to take fire crackers in and the flags are huge - it’s a military exercise believe me. Not only do you have drums pounding but flags flying and a massive flag which is carried along the crowd like a Mexican wave....I actually question how much of the game these people see (Which by the way is a fantastic game with great pace and constant attacking).

By going to a Brazilian Football game you take your life in your own hands and be prepared for fire crackers to potentially set your hair alight, coins thrown at your head and finally even the chance of cups of Urine thrown in your direction (apparently this happens quite often due to fans not being segregated).

However the Atmosphere is electric. Look out for movie footage which I will upload in the near future when I´m somewhere other than the back and beyond.

Botafogo (1) v Sao Caetano (0)



Advertisement



20th December 2006

Futbal
Ok so i just flicked over this one footie yukkkk lmao

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb