Just Returned from Recife, Olinda, Porto de Galinhas


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pernambuco » Recife
May 1st 2009
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Boa ViagemBoa ViagemBoa Viagem

View from my hotel.
I just returned from 9-days in Recife, Olinda, Porto de Galinhas, and Fortaleza. Overall, it was amazing. I actually lived in Northern Brazil as a "younger" man and I was thoroughly impressed with the improvements that have been made since I was there. Recife and Olinda were very clean, safe, and the quality of hotels, food, and activities has increased.
If you are not yet familiar with this part of Brazil, there is no better time than the present. Gone are the days of flying all the way to Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro, only to turn around and head north. There are now direct flights from major gateways to Recife, Salvador, and Fortaleza. Because of these flights the local governments are getting a lot of pressure to improve infrastructure in these cities. And the airlines are throwing out all kinds of promotional rates to get people on these planes. Brazil is more accessible than ever!

Recife: Founded in the 16th century, Recife was transformed when the Dutch seized control of the city (1630-1654) and brought along with them city planners, scientists, and painters. Water is the dominant theme: the city was built where the Capabaribe and Beberibe rivers empty into the ocean. Recife Antigo (Old Recife), located on one island, and Santo Antonio and Sao Jose, on another, embody the historical essence of this city. Both islands have forts, colonial mansions, museums, and churches. And don't forget Boa Viagem Beach (see photo below), it is a great place to soak in the sun.
Recommended Hotels; Atlante Plaza, Beach Class Suites, Lucsim Palace, and Best Western Manibu.
Recommended Restaurants: Bargaco, Spettus, Paraxaxa, and Leite.

Olinda: Founded in 1537, it was the capital of Pernambuco for years until the capital was moved to Recife, 4-miles away. The churches, museums, and streets take visitors back in time to a quaint Brazilian colonial town which can be explored by walking through the Historical Center, a Unesco Cultural Heritage Site. Olinda is a real gem, and if you can time it right, Olinda is a great Carnival destination.
Recommended Hotels: Pousada 4 Cantosand Hotel 7 Colinas.
Recommended Restaurants: Oficina do Sabor

Porto de Galinhas: Located just 60 to 90-minutes by car from Recife, this small beach town remains relatively unknown to American tourists. The main attractions = sun, sand, clear waters, and dune buggies. It offers a wide range of resort type properties ranging from 3-star to 5-star. The main beaches are Muro Alto, Cupe, Vila, and Maracaipe.
Recommended Hotels: Nannai, Enotel, Armacao, Solar, Marulhos, Beach Class, Summerville, Marupiara Suites, and the Village.
Recommended Restaurants: The town is full of small cafes and restaurants. And many of the hotels offer all-inclusive or partial meal plans that are tasty, usually buffet style dining.

My recommendation would be a 6-night stay; 1-night in Recife, 2-nights in Olinda, and 3-nights in Porto de Galinhas. And don't forget, while there is a rainy season in the North, these places are warm 365 days a year.

I need to give credit to the Brazil Guide. A great travel guide that helped with the details on the history of these cities. I can't remember all those things on my own.






Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb