Background: Following three centuries under the rule of Portugal, Brazil became an independent nation in 1822. By far the largest and most populous country in South America, Brazil overcame more than half a century of military intervention in the governance of the country when in 1985 the military regime peacefully ceded power to civilian rulers. Brazil continues to pursue industrial and agricultural growth and development of its interior. Exploiting vast natural resources and a large labor pool, it is today South America's leading economic power and a regional leader. Highly unequal income distribution remains a pressing problem.
Blogs from Recife
Latest Blogs from Recife
- July 9th 2013 Rainy Recife and beautiful Olinda...
by Words: 564 Photos: 23
- September 23rd 2012 Musik an jeder Ecke
by Words: 407 Photos: 2
- September 21st 2012 Brasiliens wahres Gesicht
by Words: 853 Photos: 8
- May 14th 2012 Easter Weekend in Recife
by Words: 194 Photos: 3
- July 30th 2010 Last day in Feira Nova
by Words: 905 Photos: 11
- July 28th 2010 Photos
by Words: 35 Photos: 5
- July 26th 2010 Habitat for Humanity Brazil: Team Thrivent
by Words: 1010 Photos: 0
- July 21st 2010 Salvador, Regen, Fussball WM, Endspurt
by Words: 867 Photos: 11
- June 1st 2010 Fotos
by Words: 12 Photos: 19
- May 31st 2010 Das letzte Vierteljahr
by Words: 1846 Photos: 0
- February 25th 2010 Olinda
by Words: 466 Photos: 100
- January 28th 2010 Photos!!
by Words: 12 Photos: 65
- January 14th 2010 Solo Travelling... Week One
by Words: 327 Photos: 0
- June 23rd 2009 Oh Recife!! Swimming with sharks and dolphins (but not on the same day)- Oh my!! LOVE BRAZIL!!!
by Words: 3375 Photos: 84
- May 1st 2009 Just Returned from Recife, Olinda, Porto de Galinhas
by Words: 528 Photos: 12
- April 2nd 2009 Before the trip
by Words: 121 Photos: 0
- March 1st 2009 Recife
by Words: 114 Photos: 12
- February 26th 2009 O Carnaval!
by Words: 92 Photos: 4
- February 22nd 2009 Carnaval in the Pouring Rain
by Words: 526 Photos: 36
- July 7th 2008 Recife!
by Words: 180 Photos: 0