Out of the big cities


Advertisement
Published: August 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Now in Campo Grande after 5 excellent days in Rio. We arrived in Rio last Thursday after being run out of town in New York due to Lucys diplomacy. An interesting guided tour around the Lower East Side Tenement museum turned nasty when the camp dwarf who was guiding us innocently asked "When the men lost their jobs during the Great Depression, how do you think the wives helped the families get by?" There was silence amongst the group of the other 12 or so all-American tour group as they thought proudly about what their ancestors would have done in this situation - making clothes, perhaps just making the money spread further. The thoughtful silence was harshly broken by Lucy suggesting loudly "Prostitution!".

Rio was great fun, we stayed at Ipanema and managed to hit the beach at some point every day. We managed to get round the sights though seeing some amazing views of the city alongside Christ and a view of complete mist at the top of Sugar Loaf mountain. I also saw two games of football, one on the beach, three lads and a girl and a much less skilful and entertaining one between Flamengo and Ponte Preto at the Maracana. Great atmosphere, drums and singing all the way through but the game could have gone on until midnight without a goal being scored.

The nightlife in Rio was also very good and made all the more interesting by not knowing if you will spend most your money on beer or on making sure the little kid pointing his gun at you will leave you alone. This happened to quite a few people in the hostel including an Irish lad who had been robbed 3 times in Rio, being drunk 24/7 as he was probably increased the risk though. The best night was a street party in Lapa held every Saturday, great atmosphere and bars. However most had no toilets meaning a walk to a secluded area to go. Obviously kids with guns thought this was a great money making location but somehow despite others getting done and my peanut bladder I seemed to drunkenly avoid all of this.

In Campo Grande now on the hotel computer. Tommorow we leave for the Pantanal, a four day trip into the Wetlands camping and doing wildlife spotting type stuff. This should be interesting as neither of us are that fond of camping. I'm glad we are leaving this hotel though as we are stuggling with their impressive electric power shower, its problem being it meets it description too well. The electric shocks it gives are quite painful, this may have something to do with the various frayed electrical cables hanging from it. We have worked out wearing our rubber flip flops has stopped the shocks. I have a photo of it, I will also try and put some more interesting photos on here later.

Advertisement



17th August 2006

Lucy puts her foot in it!
Reading your latest journal made me laugh so much. Trust Lucy to put her foot in it: "Prostitution!" I am so glad that you are having a good time so far. Be careful and keep in touch. Love Fil.
17th August 2006

Money makin!
Hey guys, there is no denying that prostitution wud help with the finances when the men were on stike but i dont think that it really caught on (2 many complications and all that)!!!! Glad ur havin a gud time. Pls b careful in the shower!
18th August 2006

campo grando
Roger would love the campo grando... :-)
20th August 2006

out of the big cites
Can't wait to see the photos. Take care. Love mum xxx

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb