Crossing the border....


Advertisement
Published: August 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Pantanal visit was great. We spent 4 days in the wetlands area and camped out in a tent. Each day we did an activity at dawn and dusk, like hiking through swamps, pirhana fishing (Jon caught two), night safari, horse ridings, river boat trips etc.. and we saw so much wildlife, such as toucans, giant storks, aligators, macaws and much more.

After we left the Pantanal, we decided to head for Corumba on the border and cross into Bolivia. We hadn´t looked into this at all and it proved to be fairly difficult. No-one seemed able to say specifically what we needed to do (in any language apart from Portuguese either), but it involved visits to various places to get passports stamped etc and each time you turn up at a place, they tell you that you need to go somewhere else. We finally got into Bolivia (after the immigraion officers came back from the 2.5 hours siesta) and we caught the train to Santa Cruz. It´s commonly referred to as the ´train of death´ (as it derails often and gets stuck in the swamplands in wet season) but we got lucky and are still alive.

After camping out and then staying in a ´total´ dive in Corumba, we chose a decent B&B in Sanat Cruz which even had luke-warm water! Unfortunately, they do a fumigation session each afternoon to drive out all the cockroaches and mozzies. Sadly, there seemed to be quite a few cockroaches hiding out in our room that then came out to die. Not pleasant.

Santa Cruz is a really nice town and it´s easy to chill out and relax here. Lots of people use it as a base for visiting the amazing 18-th century jesuit missions and people (both locals and tourists) seem REALLY religious. We aren´t allowed to take any alcohol into the B&B for example, and all the book stores only seem to sell religious material, and the only places to visit seem to be churches! Good weather though.

Next stop is Sucre. On a cold, long and and bumpy bus ride no doubt.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



23rd August 2006

hi
hello guy's,seems you having good time,i know lucy can't have enough of seeing new placeses and diffrent pepole,but what jon realy need to do to learne some football skill frome the regone that's the only chance England have if they ever win the would cup.let me know if i be able to see any of your phot's in this site.please becareful and take care of yourself.love sam

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb