"Look at the choppers on hur, isn´t she a buuty"


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Beni Department » Rurrenabaque
September 7th 2006
Published: January 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola amigos,

Alots happened since we last checked in. Roy Keane is blazing a trail at Sunderland and Steve Irwin, the great man himself, has left us. We'll miss that crazy B·$tard!

Anyway, when we left cusco, we hit straight for La Paz and onwards to Rurrenabaque. This is jungle country, its the lowland region of the amazon.

Amazing place, we saw every kind of animal, gators, turtles, monkeys, capybara (big pig type rat), anaconda and the rest. Cool place.

The second day there we headed off early on a snake hunt. We found an anaconda in a hole but left him there and that was the end of that. We went back to camp and headed out piranha fishing. Good craic, viscious little things. As soon as they sniffed a bit of blood in the water they went into a frenzy. Cool to see. We caught loads as the water is swarming with them. Mighty fine eatin in um.

The last day was class. We went off in the morning and managed to get close to a gator. He was an old one so a few of us were able to touch him on the nose. Later on we came across some pink river dolpins which are really rare. Our guide told us it would be ok to go swimming with them if we wanted, that the dolphins would protect us from the gators and anything else. 3 of us got in for a swim. On reaching the water I freaked out. Let me paint a picture. Everywhere you look there are aligators in this river (some up to six meters long), the water was murky brown and you couldn't see shit (including mine), the dolphins that were our protection fecked off up the river and the guide that was doing large circles in the boat to ward off anything drove off to the shore, 30 meters away. Not the nicest feeling in the world, trust me.

Anyway to cut along story short, I made it safe. All of this of course was great amusement to aoilo. My calls of "senor, bring the F$cking boat back" were met with frantic giggles. On reflection, i wouldn't do it again. The guide who said it was safe didn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. He asked me were there really such things as leprechauns in Ireland. To my amazement, when I said yes and showed him a picture of "cha" on my camera, he was jumping around hysterically at this new revelation. And its safe in dem der waters you say, ehhhh????

That night was odd enough, after alot of beers we headed back to the hotel. I went sleep walking and had a dream I was stranded in the middle of the swamp on a piece of land one square foot. I woke up in the middle of the room calling for the boat. Nuts.

Anyway, we're currently on route to Tupiza in south bolivia, where butch cassidy and the sundance kid met there makers.

Till next time,

Adios,

Ian and Aoilo



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb