Sailing the Whitsunday Islands


Advertisement
Oceania
April 15th 2009
Published: April 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We took an overnight bus from the town of 1770 to Airlie Beach so that we could go sailing in the Whitsunday Islands and snorkel on the great barrier reef. We had a 3 day and 2 night sailing trip booked on a boat called Pegasus. Our sailing trip was definitely not as good as we had hoped. The first day we set sail the crew told us that if the weather had been any windier the trip would have been cancelled due to safety reasons but luckily for us we went anyways. We sailed for a couple of hours in the pouring rain and giant waves - several people fell on deck and slid all the way across to the other side before someone would help them up. Luckily the wind died down after that first day so we only had to contend with the constant rain. We started our second day off nice and early with a snorkelling trip which was pretty cool if you were lucky enough to have a mask that didn't leak water. If you just floated on top of the reef you would be surrounded by fish in seconds. It was really cool. After the first snorkelling trip, we went to another site to do some more snorkelling and then they took us to one of the resorts on the island to hang out at for a few hours since there was nothing else to do in the pouring rain. On our third day, it was still raining but there was another snorkelling trip to go on and then we sailed back to Airlie Beach. We were glad to get off of the boat because we were sick of the constant rocking motion but mostly because we wanted to escape the bed bugs (it was not a pleasant experience).


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.8kb