Kia Ora New Zealand!


Advertisement
Oceania » New Zealand
April 26th 2023
Published: May 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

A camping we will go, A camping we will go, High Ho the Derry-O, A camping we will go! And what a place to do so! Great roads, abundant camp spots, friendly humor loving locals, ease of English language, and jaw dropping beauty! New Zealand is a place to get out and explore, marvel at nature, and challenge yourself to anything from hiking, to biking to paragliding and so much more. In our way too ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Another summit hikeAnother summit hike
Another summit hike

Always breath taking - in more ways than one!
Iconic New Zealand photoIconic New Zealand photo
Iconic New Zealand photo

I think my Mom and Dad had their photo taken at this same spot. It's beside a beautiful winding road leading into Wanaka, along Lake Hawea.
Biking Lake WanakaBiking Lake Wanaka
Biking Lake Wanaka

New Zealand is a very bike friendly country. Wanaka had a lovely trail along the lake shore. We met several friendly people along the way and enjoyed pedaling through gorgeous peaceful scenery.
Pizza and wine on the lawnPizza and wine on the lawn
Pizza and wine on the lawn

A relaxing lunch at the winery. New Zealand wines were fabulous! My favorite were the Pinot Gris and Sauvignon Blancs.
Aboard the TSS EarnslawAboard the TSS Earnslaw
Aboard the TSS Earnslaw

We enjoyed a fantastic day steaming across Lake Wakatipu on this 1912 steamer.
Walter PeakWalter Peak
Walter Peak

Our destination on the TSS Earnslaw. This working sheep station is not only beautiful but also served us a fantastic buffet luncheon as well a demonstration afterward highlighting the amazing sheep dogs and sheep shearing. Super fun day!
Dessert with a viewDessert with a view
Dessert with a view

Windows open, breathing in the fresh air whilst enjoying cab sauv and several desserts. My favorite: Sticky Toffee Pudding. Wow!
Queenstown LugeQueenstown Luge
Queenstown Luge

Super fun and fast ride down a curvy roadway. Matt reveled in bumping his luge into mine several times before passing me at a very high speed and racing down to the finish. We laughed the whole way down.
I'm soaring like a bird!I'm soaring like a bird!
I'm soaring like a bird!

I didn't know this was a bucket item until the opportunity presented itself. The perfect day and although I suffer a fear of heights, I couldn't resist. Such a free and wonderful feeling soaring in the wind!
The Southern Cross over our campervanThe Southern Cross over our campervan
The Southern Cross over our campervan

Stars in the southern hemisphere are more abundant, with the milky way wrapping like an arch from one horizon to another. Strange to see our northern hemisphere constellation Orion standing on his head. And so many constellations I didn't recognize.
Predator eradicationPredator eradication
Predator eradication

Rats, stoats and possums are all non-native predators that have wreaked havoc on the native bird population. In some cases, leading to extinction. Every trail we traversed had little cages like this all along it. Apparently they have been very successful!
Kepler TrackKepler Track
Kepler Track

This section of the Kepler Track, near Manapouri, was one of my favorite hikes. I especially loved the lush green forest, so much moss, the swinging bridge, a bit of hill to climb and the cute little birds .
Little friendLittle friend
Little friend

This cute little South Island Tomtit hopped around my feet looking for insects which might have been scraped up from my tracks. Tiny little thing with no worries about my big feet.
Cruising Doubtful SoundCruising Doubtful Sound
Cruising Doubtful Sound

This gorgeous fjord in Fjordland National Park is 25 miles long. We had a fantastic 8 hour day starting with a forest walk along a little trail from our campsite to the dock. After a speed boat ride across beautiful Lake Manapouri, we rode a bus to the Doubtful Sound cruise ship. We traveled all the way out to the Tasman Sea, seeing the rare fur seals at the mouth of the fjord. Rain, sun and loads of waterfalls!
Doubtful SoundDoubtful Sound
Doubtful Sound

As seen from high above
TakaheTakahe
Takahe

These are 2 of 485 left in the world. These were at a bird sanctuary. Large, colorful and distinctive beaks. We were fortunate to see a naturalist at the sanctuary feed them their favorite food, red tussock.



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb