Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Lake Wakatipu
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Lake Wakatipu
Latest Blogs from Lake Wakatipu
- November 28th 2013 Day 10 - Arrowtown, Queenstown to Glenorchy Scenic Drive and Kinloch, Otago, South Island, New Zealand
by Words: 1105 Photos: 72
- November 17th 2012 The Kingston Flyer
by Words: 53 Photos: 3
- December 4th 2010 Thrilled to bits...
by Words: 237 Photos: 15
- February 17th 2010 stunning NZ!
by Words: 965 Photos: 19
- January 25th 2007 Some Lake It Hot
by Words: 444 Photos: 7