Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Wellington Region
Blogs from Wellington Region
Latest Blogs from Wellington Region
- November 6th 2013 Akaroa, South Island, and Wellington, North Island
by Words: 221 Photos: 0
- October 17th 2013 I'm Fine. Really. Also Boats of the Turkish Coast.
by Words: 623 Photos: 21
- September 30th 2013 Home and fishing. Oh Joy!!
by Words: 406 Photos: 26
- June 20th 2013 Wellington
by Words: 358 Photos: 0
- June 6th 2013 Getting ready!
by Words: 13 Photos: 0
- April 18th 2013 Time to start again
by Words: 38 Photos: 5
- April 2nd 2013 Osterferien II: Sunny Wellington - ocean, coast & beaches :)
by Words: 304 Photos: 19
- February 7th 2013 End of the journey to North Island
by Words: 170 Photos: 0
- January 29th 2013 Wellington
by Words: 679 Photos: 15
- December 26th 2012 Day 15 - Christmas Day
by Words: 159 Photos: 0
- December 11th 2012 Last day in Wellington
by Words: 87 Photos: 10
- December 2nd 2012 There and back again... an unexpected journey
by Words: 1637 Photos: 0
- October 31st 2012 31. Oktober 2012, Wellington
by Words: 942 Photos: 25
- October 18th 2012 Entry number 2: The Itinarery
by Words: 359 Photos: 0
- October 2nd 2012 Wellington Area
by Words: 539 Photos: 5
- September 16th 2012 Home sweet home.
by Words: 566 Photos: 6
- May 31st 2012 Friday try out to see if the photo comes out.
by Words: 29 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2012 Kia Ora! NEW ZEALAND.
by Words: 926 Photos: 40
- February 28th 2012 Around Wellington
by Words: 602 Photos: 0
- February 5th 2012 NZ......briefly
by Words: 437 Photos: 6