Windy wonderful Wellington!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Wellington Region » Wellington
September 9th 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -41.2865, 174.776

Well, we awoke to still-unsettled weather outside, but warm hearts inside.
As soon as Everard had finished his business appt, we headed off across the bay to climb Mt. Kaukau, part of the "Northern Walkway" - an hour's climb in rain and windy and over 1200' above sea level. Pretty steep but we made it - thank goodness for those brasher sticks! When we got to the top the view was amazing - but so was the wind - est was over 50 mph, so the stay was brief.
We then had a delightful lunch of seafood chowder and whitebait fritters!!!! and coffee on another delightful little spot by the sea.
Then off to climb up to a memorial for a former Prime Minister. Good views from the heights behind, where we found gun emplacements from many years ago - and saw that the ferries were indeed running, tho the waves are very choppy and white capped.
We drove around the peninsula towards the south and west and saw many beautiful scenes.
Climbed once again to the ANZAC memorial - fascinating history of NZ's involvement in WWI - what moving words of Ataturk.
Got home for a welcomed cuppa, a little rest, and then some friends of Everard's and Antonella's came over for nibbles, wine, and fish and chips 😊
We took much ribbing for our strenuous day, but even more for the fact that we face the sea journey tomorrow - differing opinions about whether David should eat breakfast or not, be above ships or down, etc.
What is most fascinating to me is that to get from the North Island to the South we actually go northwest. Wish us luck !!!!
This has been a lovely respite with our new-found family. Photos of the fish and chips party tomorrow if David survives.

Advertisement



9th September 2016

Good luck for the Ferry tomorrow! Going to say prayers against sea sickness xxx
9th September 2016

Thank you for sharing this. It's very touching indeed!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1017.5kb