Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Whakatane
Blogs from Whakatane
Latest Blogs from Whakatane
- August 26th 2012 Pretending to be a Farmer
by Words: 478 Photos: 4
- March 18th 2012 Farming, Fete's & Fantastic Times!
by Words: 784 Photos: 3
- February 11th 2012 Whakatane
by Words: 550 Photos: 0
- January 11th 2012 Rotorua, Whakatane & Ohope Beach
by Words: 647 Photos: 10
- January 7th 2012 Whakatane & White Island
by Words: 124 Photos: 6
- April 16th 2011 Journal day 70 - Whakatane.
by Words: 93 Photos: 0
- February 28th 2011 Who Is This Man?
by Words: 1482 Photos: 28
- February 26th 2011 Getting All Steamed Up!
by Words: 1777 Photos: 34
- February 25th 2011 Further 'Down Under'
by Words: 1365 Photos: 9
- February 9th 2011 trip to the Bay of Plenty 2.-4.02.2011
by Words: 635 Photos: 11
- October 13th 2010 Spring Rains
by Words: 186 Photos: 17
- May 12th 2010 Grandad's 85th Birthday
by Words: 283 Photos: 8
- May 12th 2010 Whakatane,Bill's 85th birthday weekend
by Words: 147 Photos: 17
- February 21st 2010 Bay of Plenty
by Words: 258 Photos: 24
- November 23rd 2009 North Island - Rotorua, Whakatane and Our time with The Dom's
by Words: 761 Photos: 54
- April 19th 2009 White Island - awesome!
by Words: 1895 Photos: 25
- March 11th 2009 Kaikoura to Whakatane
by Words: 1351 Photos: 35
- March 7th 2009 SFA around the Bay of Plenty
by Words: 1175 Photos: 2
- February 27th 2009 Fishes in Thornton
by Words: 1287 Photos: 8
- November 24th 2008 Ohope Beach
by Words: 341 Photos: 4