Robinson Crusoe/Nadi 11-16/3


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
March 15th 2009
Published: March 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Robinson Crusoe involved a bit of a strange drive to a very small boat port. Once there we were welcomed with singing and were just in time for lunch. There were only nine other guests on the island and it felt like a little family. The first day there we did an afternoon kayak but we couldn't get all the way around the island as the tide was too low, also my kayak had a leak and by the end of the trip I was going really slowly and couldn't pull it along the beach it was so heavy. After this some dinner guests arrived and there was a big show which included fire walking, hula dancing, knife dancing and fire dancing. the show was amazing, especially the fire dancing.

The next day we attempted to kayak all the way around the island again. This time we got all the way around but we had to get out and pull them for part of the way as the water was still really shallow. We then did a bit of sunbathing, which involved me reading a book in the shade whilst kirsty topped up her tan. after this some daytrippers arrived and, after some coconut tasting, there was another big performance for the guests. after this we did a nature walk where we were shown lots of plants with different medicinal properties. We also did some turtle viewing that was really a man hiding in the sand under a turtle shell. After this there was a crab race in which I won a shell necklace. After this the daytrippers left and we had our island back to ourselves. After tea we had a kava ceremony to welcome all of us newcomers and then there was dancing performed by the people from each country, fortunately there were many English people so I wasn't really in the spotlight.

The next day started with some more sunbathing followed by a dip in the pool. We then went on a fish drive, basically chasing fish into a net. We caught a stingray on our first attempt which put off a few of the people, including Kirsty. After a few more attempts the rest of us gave up as we hadn't caught anything. Kirsty and I then went on a walk around the island and saw lots of cool crabs. When we returned from the walk we found one of the staff members up a tree collecting coconuts. After watching this I played a game of volleyball followed by football, whilst Kirsty spectated. This was really tiring in the sun and having to run in the sand but it was fun. Some new people arrived so we had another kava ceremony followed by a sunset bonfire. This was followed by some silly drinking games in which my team won some free drinks.

After breakfast we went coconut hunting, a few of us had a quick go at climbing a coconut tree but none of us were very good at it. This was followed by coconut jewellery making. I gave up after my coconut cracked but Kirsty perservered and came out with a very homemade looking coconut bracelet. There were more dinner cruisers coming on to the island which meant another show and this was the best one we have seen yet. After this we got an early night as we were leaving the island the following morning.

We returned to Nadi to rest and get sorted before heading to our final holiday destination of Boston.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

bucket shower
Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

bucket shower
Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

fire walking
Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

dinner performance
Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

fire dancing
Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

fire dancing
Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

coconut tasting
Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

cat eating lizard
Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

lunch performance
Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

man who pretended to be a turtle
Robinson crusoeRobinson crusoe
Robinson crusoe

dave receiving prize


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb