Background: Fiji became independent in 1970, after nearly a century as a British colony. Democratic rule was interrupted by two military coups in 1987, caused by concern over a government perceived as dominated by the Indian community (descendants of contract laborers brought to the islands by the British in the 19th century). A 1990 constitution favored native Melanesian control of Fiji, but led to heavy Indian emigration; the population loss resulted in economic difficulties, but ensured that Melanesians became the majority. Amendments enacted in 1997 made the constitution more equitable. Free and peaceful elections in 1999 resulted in a government led by an Indo-Fijian, but a coup in May 2000 ushered in a prolonged period of political turmoil. Parliamentary elections held in August 2001 provided Fiji with a democratically elected government and gave a mandate to the government of Prime Minister Laisenia QARASE.
Photos from Taveuni
Blogs from Taveuni
Latest Blogs from Taveuni
- October 10th 2013 9.On the move
by Words: 608 Photos: 6
- October 6th 2013 9. In beweging
by Words: 585 Photos: 6
- October 31st 2012 Fiji, Insel Taveuni
by Words: 229 Photos: 10
- January 4th 2012 Happy New Year from the Rainbow Reef!
by Words: 1211 Photos: 109
- July 30th 2011 Familiar Fiji? Not so much!
by Words: 3448 Photos: 13
- May 9th 2011 Rural Fiji
by Words: 1627 Photos: 0
- September 16th 2010 Leaving Taveuni . . .
by Words: 438 Photos: 21
- September 15th 2010 Snorkeling the Pearl Farm . . .
by Words: 746 Photos: 26
- September 14th 2010 On the Rainbow Reef . . .
by Words: 895 Photos: 21
- September 13th 2010 A Place So Beautiful It Couldn't Be Real . . . Except I Was There.
by Words: 1605 Photos: 27
- September 12th 2010 Exploring Taveuni - Wairiki Catholic Church, International Dateline & Natural Waterslide . . .
by Words: 1327 Photos: 20
- September 12th 2010 Snorkel Below My Bed . . .
by Words: 769 Photos: 16
- September 11th 2010 Flying over Fiji to Taveuni . . .
by Words: 974 Photos: 19
- May 25th 2010 FIJI
by Words: 1710 Photos: 20
- June 24th 2009 Taveuni - "The Hidden Gem of Fiji"
by Words: 4726 Photos: 102
- October 14th 2008 Fiji; Tui Tai
by Words: 1074 Photos: 26
- July 6th 2008 Eels, sharks & sailboats
by Words: 357 Photos: 12
- April 11th 2008 Fiji: diving with the sharks, sunshine and nights spent in Nadi Airport
by Words: 1254 Photos: 11
- January 19th 2008 Vanua Levu & Taveuni
by Words: 879 Photos: 55
- December 1st 2007 Bula Blowfish, No Vinaka on the Kava
by Words: 252 Photos: 9