great barrier reef. 27and28/10


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Great Barrier Reef
October 29th 2008
Published: October 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we just relaxed and practiced some swimming ready for our snorkelling the day after and rented a digital underwater camera so we can show you what we saw.

Had to get up early to get the boat to the reef. once we had signed in and got on the boat there was a ride of about an hour before we got to the first of the two places we would be snorkelling. During this we were mostly sat on the deck of the boat which was cool. Once we got there it was time to go snorkelling. We were both a little nervous , neither of us being particurly strong swimmers.

We both took a float, to make sure we were boyant enough to not touch and damage the coral, with us but so did nearly everyone else there so I didn't feel too stupid. The snorkelling was amazing, as soon as we set foot in the water we were surrounded by lots of pretty fish. When we ventured out we saw lots of cool creatures. I saw a shark, but kirsty didn't, which was mighty cool and surprisingly not scary. We were allowed to snorkel for about three hours at the first site which was much longer than I imagined you would get.

We were then given a lunch of steak, sausage, fish, and various salads which was very tasty. We then made a short trip (about 15 minutes) to the next reef.

This reef was even better than the first. As soon as we got in we took a guided tour with one of the crew members. This was really good cos he gave us much info and also dived down to get us some good close up pictures. He also stuck his hand in a giant clam shell to make it close and picked us up some sea cucumbers so we could have a hold. We were given another two hours to snorkel here which made it a very good long day of snorkelling.

On the way back we were given cheese and biscuits and wine and provided with entertainment by one of the crew who played the guitar and sang and also played the dijerridoo (apoligies for the probably incorrect spelling) and got a few of the crowd to have a go aswell.

When we got back we handed in our camera and then went for a cheap meal at an irish pub. It was an amazing day but I did get very burnt on my back snorkelling for that amount of time but it was definately worth it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



29th October 2008

wow....
no fair i wanna be there......so cold in wales atm, and you there getting sun burnt! hehe hoep you are both having a wonderful time. We got your post thank youuuuu :D. Missing ya both x
6th November 2008

Pics
Awesome! Very jealous!
18th November 2008

fish
Better fish than I have ever caught!Loos lie you having fun, well done on the swimming David!Dad

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb