G'Day Mates!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
August 18th 2007
Published: August 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sydney SunsetSydney SunsetSydney Sunset

View of the Sydney Harbor with the Opera House and Harbor Bridge in background.
Hi from Down Unda!

We are just wrapping up our Australia stint and leave for New Zealand tomorrow. Its been a nice change from our last spots and very similar to home: English spoken, variety of restaurants, drinkable water etc. People are so friendly here- we really like it!

Started out in Sydney to see the big sights and found it a very international city. The harbor was beautiful as we took a side trip to Manly Beach on the ferry. It's the end of winter/early spring here so the 5pm sunsets and bare trees are a little confusing, but fun to see.

Next it was up north to the warm, tropical Cairns to see the Great Barrier Reef. We rode a catamaran out to the reef for a chilly snorkeling adventure. We found Nemo! He's okay. We also saw a sea turtle, some rays, and a lot of other colorful fish and coral. It's truly a wonder to see!

It was on to Surfer's Paradise (yes that's a town) on Australia's Gold Coast to learn the craft of surfing. The town strangely reminded us of Florida, but the surf was all Aussie. We took a surfing
Snorkel on the ReefSnorkel on the ReefSnorkel on the Reef

A little cold, but happy in our wet suits after having a good look at the Great Barrier Reef
lesson and got chucked by the waves, but it was fun to get out there and try. After a good sinus rinse (Ted had salt water coming out his nose all night) and a couple bruises, we called it a day and watched the pros from the beach.

Today we are in Brisbane, a nice large city on a river more inland from the coast. We went out to a Koala Sanctuary and saw the local critters: koalas, kangaroos, dingoes, crocs, kookaburras, wullabies, and wombats. Even got a cuddle from "Rodney" the koala!

Off to Christchurch NZ tomorrow to begin exploring the South Island. One more week to go! Thanks for reading!

Love,
Caroline & Ted




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Koala CuddleKoala Cuddle
Koala Cuddle

Rodney, the Koala... in between his sleeping and eating
Kanga encounterKanga encounter
Kanga encounter

They're friends!


19th August 2007

Awesome
We are so impressed with your itinerary and the great things you've seen. The pictures are wonderful; and you too look great and happy. Couldn't surf? No way! Love you both. Mom
19th August 2007

G'day mes enfants
We have to get you in Detroit? I thought Delta had a direct flight to Toledo from Atlanta? Anyhow, the brass band is getting warmed up and the pierogies are on the barbie. The international flags I ordered are on the way and the wines of the world giftset on ebay was a real bargain. The fatted calf has been slain and your Mom's tapping troop are ready for a good ol' down home homecoming tap-a-ganza. Embarassed yet, you just wait and see.
20th August 2007

"the dingo ate your baby"
hi guys! sorry i've been MIA lately...i just got back from a camping trip in the sierra nevada mountains with mat. it was super fun! we spent most of the time at a campground right next to a creek, but we took a 2-day backpacking trip to a glacier lake which we practically had all to ourselves. i'll send pictures to you and tell you more details once you're back in the states! i hope you are having fun with the kiwis (and eating kiwis, too. yum.)! caroline, i'm so jealous that you got to hold a koala!!! was he as cuddly as he looks?? ted, i'm not surprised you and a kanga are buddies! oh yeah, i got your post card from italy last week...thank you sooo much. i like real snail mail! and, unfortunately, i don't think i can make it to LA to hang with you during your layover...this whole career thing really gets in the way sometimes!! can't wait to get a phone call from you as soon as you're able. have a fun final week and get home safely! love you and miss you!!
21st August 2007

Surfin' Australian Style
So glad you tried surfing -how fun! I've really enjoyed the blogs. It has been fun keeping in touch with you during your worldwide tour. You both look incredibly happy! (Which is wonderful to see). Please call me once you have reached the U.S. Can't wait to hear more details. Rodney looks cute. I've heard New Zealand's beauty is spectacular. Love all the photos - really miss you! Luv, C
21st August 2007

AWESOME!!!
HI GUYS FINALLY GOT YOUR BLOG SITE FROM JM--JUST WENT THRU IT. OMG WHAT AN AWESOME TRIP! (TED YOU MUST OF BEEN IN HEAVEN WATCHING THE TOUR) YOU GUYS LOOK SO GOOD AND IT APPEARS YOU ARE HAVING THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE. TAKE CARE AND ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR TRIP. JEN E BRITNAY AND BECKY

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb