Socialising in Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 24th 2006
Published: February 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Flying in to Sydney, we had no idea when we were going to land until we hit the runway. It was raining SO hard. Out of the plane and into the wet 40 degrees C! Lena was there to meet us and drive to their lovely house on the North Shores in Frenchs Forest. After all that camping, we finally had a bed to sleep in! Hurrah! We spent the next few days catching up with Lena & Ewan, the tamest wild lorikeets, Basil & Sybil, and the new addition to the family, Sacha the dog.

Lena had booked us tickets for the open air cinema in the Botanical Gardens. We went to watch The Wedding Crashers, and we were lucky that the rain stopped for the duration of the film. You don't get many better settings with the city to our left and the Opera House and Harbour Bridge to our right. We also caught up with Lena's brother, Keith and his fiance Julie. Jules freaked us out with the Biggest Coincidence I've ever experienced: she used to live at 9 Wolseley Road and showed us pictures of her sitting in our garden!

More socialising the next night when we met up with Amy & Justin and Noel & Sarah. We spent a lovely evening at the famous fish restaurant, Doyle's at Watson's Bay. In fact we were having such a good time, none of us actually got round to taking any photos!

The rain kept on coming for the next few days, with us worrying that L & E's 'Beach Party' on Saturday would be a washout! Eventually, the clouds parted towards the end of the week, and the sun shone brightly for the party. Gallons of sangria, a delicious Ozzie Barbie, good company in a great garden and some tunes on the I-Pod and a most excellent time was had by all.

The next day, everyone had a fuzzy head, but unfortunately Jane felt a bit worse and had to spend most of the day in bed while we all enjoyed the continued good weather down at the beach!

Monday night was our last night in Sydney, before flying up to Ayers Rock. Another thoroughly enjoyable evening with James, Carly and Sophie (all from the Eastenders camp), Sharon & Chris (friends we met in India a few years ago who now live here) and Lena (our superb Sydney hostess!). We all met up in The Opera Bar and apart from a security man who seemed to have a problem with everything, the night was fantastic. Another amazing setting, with views out across the harbour, bridge, Circular Quay and City.

Don't worry, Lena & Ewan, WE WILL BE BACK!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



6th February 2006

What a wonderful time
Wow looks like you guys had a great time in Sydney! tee hee. Love the eye patch picture with Sasha! You must be due to leave Oz now if you haven't done so already? and are probably having a big catch up blog time on the computer. Have fun in Indonesia and keep them blogs coming. Can't wait unitl next time :-)
6th February 2006

From the man in the Lionel Richie t-shirt
3 girls for sale, good rates, reasonable mileage, 3 different models, all passed MOTs, would make ideal birthday or Xmas gifts, ex playboy, might need the odd service but excellent runners. Email for more info. What's that? You'll give me a camel? Sold!
6th February 2006

And now my serious comment!!!
What a fantastic night in Sydney we had. Still seems all very surreal. On the other side of the world having dinner with Jane, Nige, Sophie and Carly! However it all seems very real now sitting in dreary Colliers Wood on The Bill. It was fantastic to see you both. I feel honoured to be part of your journal now. Do I get royalties when it gets published?
6th February 2006

dog ice cream photo is genius
10th February 2006

The Andrew 'Boy' Charlton swimming pool was it? I used to walk past that on my way to work and was always somehow put off by the name. Nice to see Nige with a couple of birds! (you surely didn't expect a better joke than that from someone who once went to a Carry on Film Festival now did you?)

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb