The rest of New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
January 15th 2006
Published: February 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sorry everyone, we're way behind with our Blog. We're just about to leave Australia, but have a couple of reports to catch up on...

So, after all the our healthy activities and particularly the walking along the Abel Tasman trail, we decided to reward ourselves with a little bit of rest and recouperation. Wine tasting in the world famous Marlborough region to be more specific!

We based ourselves in Renwick, at Watson's Way Backpackers! Paul Watson, owner of 'Watson's Way' provided us with our bikes and off we went. With the lure of all those sauvignon blancs, the pouring rain wasn't enough to put us off. We got absolutely soaked on the 5km cycle to our first stop, 'Cloudy Bay'. Five wineries and forty-two wines later, we've no idea what the weather was doing on our way back, but we no longer cared! Learnt a lot about wine making and vintages and grapes but mainly confirmed that we definitely like wine a lot!

Our last few days in New Zealand were spent driving down the east coast of the South Island to Christchurch. We stopped at Kaikoura on the way where we Seaweed Spotted along a shoreline walk
First wine tasting stopFirst wine tasting stopFirst wine tasting stop

It was pouring down with rain and we were absolutely soaked - but look how smiley we are at the thought of free wine!
(together with a worryingly healthy interest in Bird Spotting - we're concerned we're turning into a couple of twitchers!), then admired the views (and birds and bees!) from the cliffs on the way back.

Our last morning in Christchurch, we sadly sold our trusty tent and the rest of our camping gear (quick tip: buy second hand camping stuff from Cash Converters for half the price).

We left New Zealand with the excitement about sleeping in a bed for the night, and a long list of things we need to come back for. What a beautiful country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



4th February 2006

Cloudy Bay
We had a bottle of Cloudy Bay last night when Barabara and Bryan (previous neighbours) came for dinner. We still have a small supply to enjoy with you when you return. Superb photographs of your conversion to "the meaning of life" with all those birds and bees. The next thing you will want are his and hers binoculars. - All very scary! Could you have been picked up by the New Zealand police for cycling whilst intoxicated? That's the joy of New Zealand, lots of sheep and very few people. You will soon be with Rachel, so give her our love.
4th February 2006

Hello!
I finally see some of your trip! I am soooo jealous... Despite my wishing I was there and not on Witness Silence, I'm so happy that you're clearly enjoying yourselves, and I can't wait to see the slide show on your return! Carry on living the dream for us all!! xx
5th February 2006

Glad to see your still alive and not eaten by the dingos on Fraser Island! All is good here, starting my Liver Cleansing Diet today after all those wines !! Look forward to hearing about your great time in Sydney - only good photo's please :-)
6th February 2006

hey!! Just found your blogs in the junk folder! I'll deal with that diversion straight away! All sounds fab... Our honeymoon was superb too and will write with all the news very soon. Love to you both Jules and marc xx

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb