The Big Red Rock


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
January 25th 2006
Published: February 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

As part of our Round-the-World ticket, we were given a couple of 'free' internal flights within Australia. So we decided to fly to this Big Red Rock in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes known as Ayers Rock, sometimes known as Uluru (oo-la-roo) it really is quite extraordinary.

The Rock itself is much bigger than I imagined. Nige has been here before, and we've all seen pictures of it, but it is very very big. Climbing the rock is now frowned upon and the local Aborigines (Anagu) ask you not to do it, although Nige walked up it eleven years ago. Instead we walked around some of the base which was great.

Down the road are a group of smaller, but equally impressive group of rocks, The Olgas (Kata Tjuta meaning 'many heads'). In extreme heat, and with a million flies trying to fly in to our eyes, mouth, nose & ears, we walked through two of the 'many heads' which makes you realise quite how BIG they are!

The most amazing thing though, is the fact that every day hundreds, possible thousands of people come to look at a big rock in the middle of nowhere. It's a 5 hour drive from Alice Springs and that is the nearest town which is also in the middle of nowhere. We watched the sunset, and the colours changing, which was very beautiful. We also got up REALLY early to watch sunrise, and the colours changing in reverse! Drove our little hire car down at 0530 to the rock only to join about 6 large coaches, 10 little buses and 20 cars, all looking at a very big red rock. But, it is a big rock, after all. Good to look at. Marvel at the rock that is so red and changes colour at sunrise and sunset. There's a whole resort and an airport with up to 1200 people working there, ALL BECAUSE OF THE BIG ROCK. Something to think about. Hope you enjoy all the nice pictures though!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



6th February 2006

You are being so good with the blog !!
6th February 2006

pressure
hey, it all looks wonderful and you both look so beautiful. gorgeous. and what's amazing is your're just as beautiful and gorgeous on the inside. and i'm not writing any of this because you're in my house in medan, standing over me as i write this x
9th February 2006

Need a Holiday?
I have just read about 4 of these in one go since some of us WORK - gosh u 2 are going to need a holiday when you get back - opps - looks terrific fun - all the best with the rest - love si of ali xox

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb