Australia Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Darling Harbour
February 10th 2011
Published: February 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

While we were in Sydney it was Australia day. Australians celebrate this a bit like we do for Burns day. It is a national holiday and everybody has BBQs and celebrates what it means to be Australian. Me and mum went to Darling Harbour for the day.

All round the harbour there were lots of stalls selling Australian flags and tattoos and all sorts of stuff Australian. We got a flag and I got a tattoo on my cheek. There was also a big floating stage in the middle of the harbour and there were live bands playing music. Just before it got dark there were all sorts of important people on the stage, including the premier of New South Wales. They had an awards ceremony for people who had been brave or enterprising. The Premier talked about how great it was to be an Australian and how everyone had pulled together for all the floods in Brisbane. It was really amazing. There were thousands and thousands of people. The night finished with an amazing show of lots and lots of boats sailing round the harbour.

There were old and new boats and every one of them was different. There were boats from the emergency services and then there were boats from India and Jamaica and Sweden and all over the world. Just as it was getting dark lots and lots of beautiful Yachts came sailing out and they were all lit up green and pick and purple in the night. They sailed in a circle to some guitar music and a little boy singing and then the fireworks started. The fireworks were very beautiful and went won for a long very long time. They were the most amazing fireworks that I have ever seen.




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



18th February 2011
Time to go home

Love your photos.It look's like you're having a fantastic time . Love from Mollie xxxxxxxx
20th February 2011
My Tattoo

It look's like your Having a fantastic time . I'm misssing you so much. love from Mollie. xxxxxx

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb