36 hour bus journey


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
July 10th 2012
Published: July 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

10th July
I hate the greyhound. Admittedly we haven't had any convicts scare the bejesus out of us but this bus must be the fatty bus. These people must of thought it was meals on wheels and guess who got the heavy weight champion next to him. Me. I got the biggest tub of lard sat next to me. I suppose on the up side he turned out to be a nice guy. He only took up a of quarter of my seat and allocated most of his body to the neutral zone of the aisle. He was a big lad needless to say. This posed problems when I wanted to get my iPad out and play sonic racing against the other lads over Bluetooth as they were spread across the bus also on their own. With the iPad you need to physically turn the pad to turn in the game. This posed problems as my left turn was limited due to this huge man next to me. This definitely ensured that I would have a pretty huge losing streak to my name. This was hard to take as the noobies to the game Karl and Steve thought they were the bees knees and I wouldn't hear the end of it for a while. This day we would stop in Amarillo for about 15 mins and then onto flagstaff where we would have to wait 2 hours. This 36 hour bus journey will ensure any other way of travelling for a length of time we be better. You cannot get any lower than this. You would of thought we would get a decent bus considering its a string of long journeys. No. We got the worst rickety, old bus going. A crumbling bus with fat people hazzar. Great combination. Rich was a few rows behind me sat next to a huge Chinese man and surrounding him were some very strange characters. Nice enough but I think they must of had a screw loose or just been completely socially unaware. We got to Amarillo with only 15 mins to find our next bus layover stop. When we found it we also found the que of all ques. There was no way we could of fit on we were all thinking. The line went down and out of the four of us rich managed to get through. He wasn't leaving without us. Some how he spoke to the bus driver and then us 3 were let through. Last 3 seats on the bus. Boo yah. If that bus would have been full, it would of been a 10 hour wait for the next one and another day late to Vegas. They greyhound bus system is a joke. There were another 10 people behind us as well. Why would you sell more tickets for a bus than can fit on the bus. We squeezed onto the next crappy bus to where we would play hide and seek with our chairs. You would never of guessed who was in the seat I got to. It was m old friend Chubby McChubb Chubb. I didn't mind. Again I was relieved to not have to clinch to my phone and wallet the whole way there. If he did take anything of mine there is no chance of him getting away. I mean, I'm no Usain Bolt but I can run pretty fast downhill with the wind behind me over a short distance. I pretty much slept all the way to flagstaff to where we would have to stay for 2 hours in the smallest greyhound station we have yet to encounter. It was 1 am at this point and we were in desperate need of some food and wifi. They guy behind the greyhound told us the golden archers was 1 km down the road. With 2 hours to go off we went into the dark of flagstaff, an unknown place to all. Of course with our luck it was closed. Only allowing drive throughs. So we did what any other normal people would do. Got into car formation and made our way to the window in hope they would find it funny/take pity on us and give us some much needed food. They didn't find it funny or pitiful and told us they couldn't serve us without a vehicle. We did try and argue we had one and they couldn't see it but for insurance reasons they couldn't pass us a burger out of the window. We saw a subway with its lights on in the distance so headed along there too. No joy. We wondered back encountering a couple begging for money to get a McDonalds. We explained they couldn't get served like we hadn't so the women stormed off leaving this pathetic shell of a man behind. He was holding his arm and after closer inspection his elbow was about 3 times the size it should be. We asked him and he told us she had broken his elbow. We felt pretty sorry for him but we had to head onto the bus station in wait for our last stint on the greyhound bus. Hopefully forever. Back in the station they guy behind the desk said he had some home made burritos for sale. Steve and I jumped at it and went to town on that bad boy. It may give us the runs, but it was a risk we were willing to take. Our bus arrived and soon we would be in Sin city.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb